cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
moroboshi
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 5

"BT Infinity is available in Stafford", except it isn't...

As a long suffering user of Virgin Media's massively over subscribed cable broadband service (where streaming video without continual buffering is an impossibilty) I've long waited for Infinity to arrive in my area. (Stafford)

Having just seen an ad in a (very) local petrol station informing me that BT Infinity is now available in Stafford, I checked online again, only to be told as before that it isn't available. Apparently my exchange is 'accepting orders', but not from me it isn't, as all it's offering is hopelessly slow ADSL.

So why advertise it's available, when it isn't? Surely that's a total waste of money. And more importantly, when will Infinity actually be available to me? (if ever)

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
mrnumbskull
Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 5

Re: "BT Infinity is available in Stafford", except it isn't...

Did you try http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/products/broadband/infinity

I did the one with the green and orange pins on the map, and it was inaccurate (behind the times).

0 Ratings
Ratty2012
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 5

Your local exchange might be excepting orders, but your local cabinet might not be upgraded to FTTC yet. The reason for the advertising is that some cabinets might be ready in the area so some people will be able to order Infinity.

0 Ratings
Guru
Guru
Message 4 of 5

Hi

Your exchange maybe FTTC fibre broadband enabled but to be able to get Fibre broadband such as BT Infinity your green telephone street cabinet will also need to be upgraded with a new FTTC Street Cabinet. Not all of these street cabinets in an exchange area are upgraded. Or if your on a EO (Exchange Only) Line then the exchange needs to be FTTP/H compatible.

You can check by entering your number into the BT Wholesale Database here: http://dslchecker.bt.com/adsl .

If your number isn't recognised then try your address by going to http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/ADSLChecker.AddressOutput .

If "WBC FTTC" is mentioned for your landline number/address then it will either say if it is available or give an estimated activation date.

If there is not mention of "WBC FTTC" then your cabinet (pcp) may not currently feature in Openreach's Superfast Fibre broadband rollout plan.

The Openreach Superfast Fibre Broadband rollout is still in it's early stages and the plans are always being added too. 

So your cabinet may be upgraded in the future (if not already done so), though there is no public time scale on when that will be.

An Exchange area is announced as Accepting Orders for Fibre Broadband if the exchange and atleast 10 cabinets have been upgraded and activated.

Unfortunately BT Retail (a communication provider/ISP who operates this forum) does not have much say as to when and if you will be able to get FTTC or FTTP/H based broadband such as BT Infinity.

You can register your interest for Fibre Broadband such as BT Infinity by going to http://www.superfast-openreach.co.uk/expression-gen.aspx 

Please bear in mind that in some cases it may not be possible to provide FTTC broadband in areas due to: 

• Your phone line may be connected directly to the telephone exchange and not to a local street cabinet - (Exchange Only Line [EO] )
• Your line may be too far from the local street cabinet to have a stable FTTC broadband service such as BT Infinity service.
• Your local street cabinet may not be suitable for fibre optic cables.
• We haven't yet got the council's planning permission to do the necessary work at your local street cabinet.
• Your home may not be suitable for fibre optic cables.
• Your landlord may not have agreed to the fibre infrastructure being provided in your building (for example if you live in a flat).

•There isn't a adequate power supply

• No ducting or inadequate ducting

plus lots more.

The build of the fibre broadband infrastructure in the area isn't always easy and can be very complex.

You can keep checking the BT Wholesale Database and BT Infinity website for the most upto date information as these are updated regularly.

The openreach When and Where website is: http://www.superfast-openreach.co.uk/where-and-when/

Also look out for these FTTC Cabinets on/near your street/area. If you see one near your old cabinet then you maybe in luck for Fibre broadband.

fttc_cabinet_medium-3.jpg

**The Fibre-Optic Broadband Rollout is being managed and done by Openreach for all communication providers/ISPs.
BT Retail (a communication provider/ISP) has nothing to do with the rollout of fibre broadband.**

Cheers

jac_95 | BT.com Help Site | BT Service Status
Someone Solved Your Question?
Please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Try a Search
See if someone in the community had the same problem and how they got it resolved.
0 Ratings
moroboshi
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 5

I know where the BT cabinet is near me (it's about 50m away) and it's the smaller variety. Checking the site you mentioned I just get this depressing list - 

Featured Products

WBC ADSL 2+Up to 6--4 to 8Available
WBC ADSL 2+ Annex MUp to 6Up to 14 to 8Available
ADSL MaxUp to 5--3.5 to 7.5Available
WBC Fixed Rate2----Available
Fixed Rate2----Available
Other Offerings
Copper Multicast------Available

I guess I'm stuck on Virgin useless Media then.  

0 Ratings