cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rifles
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 16

"Capped" Broadband

I have had 3 fault reports raised for the reduction in speed of my broadband service and every time it is closed after a week but nothing has been resolved BT India was supposed to call me back on each occasion to see if my speed had increased this never happened.

My local exchange “Bradwell Abbey” completed a major upgrade exactly at the same time so it is not hard to work out what happened “I was downgraded”.

Before the upgrade my speed was a slow 5.25mb but now it is 3.20mb and as I am 40% below the national average that 2mb loss is massive.

I have called BT India on a numerous occasions and have been lied to on every occasion and I refuse to call them again as it is a complete waste of time, but during one conversation they informed me that my “Broadband had been capped” and we can restore it back within 4 hours, that was 72 hours ago, and still no improvement.

This has been going on for over a month now, anybody know of a UK number that I can contact and get this resolved?

0 Ratings
15 REPLIES 15
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 16

Re: "Capped" Broadband

What are your ADSL Statistics  and BT Speedtester  results?

0 Ratings
rifles
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 16

Keith_Beddoe

As requested:

Broadband Speed

ADSL

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 16

Your theoretical maximum connection speed would be 5792Kbs, but your actual speed would depend on a number of factors, including the connection point that you connect your home hub to, within your house.

With your current ADSL stats, the speed is not likely to increase much more, as the margin is 6.8dB, and I notice that you have only been connected for two and a half hours. Why is this?

Your home hub needs to be connected as close as possible to the point where your phone line enters the house.

If you have a newer master socket, could you try plugging the home hub into the test socket as shown here.

Testing from "test" socket

Then display your ADSL stats again please.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
rifles
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 16

Keith

I live in a retirement village so I do not have any control over the sockets each room has a socket a total of 4 the hub is connected at the furthest point, already moved to main socket and no difference, an engineer came in January and he disconnected cables from the connectors (as we have DEC phones, sockets not required) and just crimed them through  to my hub socket and my speed was almost 6MB but since the exchange upgrade this went down.

Why have I only been on for 2 hours? Could that because I reset the router last night (paper clip), maybe!

There are 2 routes into this complex:

Route one - via cabinets

Route Two - A direct cable from the exchange

I am on route 2 and in the offices here we have an MDF so we are the "E" side and the "D" side's are the apartments

I did not mention it before, but I am an ex BT engineer and I worked on Business Systems as a senior technician, now retired, installing switchboards etc, but I have no control over this issue as I am not allowed to touch anything.

I have tried to get an engineer out but BT India refused this and wanted me to pay £90, and I belive if I had the service before why should I have to pay, but they were quite adament that I would have to pay.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 16

As you are on an EO cable, then that would eliminate some of the potential issues. Although the exchange may have been upgraded, you are still on ADSL max, up to 8Mb, so your line would not have been affected.

Does your master socket have a test socket? Also, do you have anything else plugged into your phone line, like a Sky box?

0 Ratings
rifles
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 16

Keith

There is no break out point, no test socket all hard wired into chrome wall sockets, nothing else is plugged in not even sky, apart from the telephone that is on a filter, that has been changed a few times in case it was faulty, even bought new phones just in case!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 16

It could be that you are picking up interference on the internal wiring that is reducing the ability of your line to carry the full range of "tones" that are needed.

Any addition wiring, especially the old "bell" wire, unbalances the line, and can cause it to pick up interference.

If you can disconnect any of the wires apart fron those to connections 2 and 5, that should help.

See

http://www.filesaveas.com/jarviser/bellwirenutshell.html

You can do that, even on the type that you have, as it appears you do not seem to have a master socket, which is odd.

The master socket has a capacitor (yellow) inside.

0 Ratings
rifles
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 16

Keith

Let me explain it another way

Socket 1 - Lounge is a master socket has the capacitor all connections apart from 2 & 5 connected cable goes away to Socket 2

Socket 2 - Bedroom One all cables removed from connections and only A&B leg crimped to cable going away to socket 3

Socket 3 - Bedroom Two this is where the hub is cable going away to socket 4 completely removed

Socket 4 - Bathroom can you believe it one in a wet room! all cables completly removed so a dead cable from Socket 3 to Socket 4

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 16

So, from the master socket, you only have wires 2 and 5, connected, ie. the A and B leg?

Which one of the sockets is the home hub connected to?

How easy would it be for you to plug the home hub into the master socket, and provide the ADSL stats again, so I can see the noise margin?

0 Ratings