cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 11 of 16

Re: "Free" youview box channels ??

Thanks for the link, I've trawled through the posts there and still not in a position to decide what to do.

Current setup is : -

HH2 SilverBox BTSport via Sky.( Freeview card )

Exchange recently upgraded to copper multicast available.

Speaking to BT today I was told that I would need to cancel my BTVision contract and take out a new one £5 cost

( Cancellation fee waived ! )

My Broadband would increase to £16 at the expiry of my present broadband contract ( present contract expire in November)

Line rental same ( present contracts expire in November. )

Asked if HH2 would accept multicast, answer, doesn't say it doesn't, should be OK.

Asked about own buying own box, answer, BT won't work with any other boxes.

Asked if I could get BTSport via broadband, answer, yes, but you will need to cancel it via Sky.

Some of this is contradicted by a " TV Expert " in a post on the link in the previous message,

eg: BTSport ESPN - if you have Infinity.

I suppose I could let my BTTV contract lapse and perhaps take it up at a later date although that would cost me £35, or, I could move to PlusNet for £10.49 broadband, £131.88 line rental and £5.99 for BTSport.

Whilst I may be classe as a " loyal TV customer " I don't really have that " feel good " feeling !!!

Cheers..

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 12 of 16

@C1Rider wrote:

HH2 SilverBox BTSport via Sky.( Freeview card )

The generation 1 silver boxes are still actually BT Vision+ boxes, but unlike the generation 2 black ones the software can't be upgraded to receive multicast channels.

If you already get the free BT Sport on a Sky box then I can see the incentive to move to the generation 3 BT Youview+ box is less than for some people. For others it may be a good opportunity to get the free BT Sport channels on TV and they feel it's worth committing for 18 months. Smiley Happy 

Speaking to BT today I was told that I would need to cancel my BTVision contract and take out a new one £5 cost

( Cancellation fee waived ! )

Others on that thread have said that is untrue and seems to be incorrect advice from some reps. If you look at ectophile's later post he confirmed his first bill after changing box had no new TV charges (he is still on the same TV PAYG).

There is no cancellation fee if you have completed your original BT TV contract minimum term. Plus it's BT giving you notice it will be cancelled so maybe you should charge BT a cancellation fee? Smiley LOL

My Broadband would increase to £16 at the expiry of my present broadband contract ( present contract expire in November)

Line rental same ( present contracts expire in November. )

The contracts don't normally expire, it's just that any additional discounts are usually just for a fixed period (often the 12 months minimum term). After that you revert to the full price you signed up for. The upfront line rental saver can be renewed though. It's not a discount linked to your broadband contract. I think it's always available as an option at any time to anyone paying for a BT phone line.

Asked if HH2 would accept multicast, answer, doesn't say it doesn't, should be OK.

Some customers have reported using the ADSL version of the HH2 with multicast with the black BT Vision+ box before, but I think they needed the correct version of HH2 (can't remember if type A or type B) and possibly the latest firmware for it. To be honest BT usually just send customers a free HH3 or higher if they are having any multicast problems.

Asked about own buying own box, answer, BT won't work with any other boxes.

Not entirely true. The terms clearly mention the BT Player service which is aimed at people with retail boxes (not those on normal BT TV contracts with BT issued boxes). However if you check all the details/smallprint the current options and costs for it are poor and the general opinion is to steer clear.

See  www.bt.com/player

Unless you take up BT's offer I think they will kill your current BT TV contract after June so I don't think there would be any option to simply continue viewing your current BT TV package using your own retail Youview+ box.

Some of this is contradicted by a " TV Expert " in a post on the link in the previous message,

The BT Sport over ADSL service was only announced a few days ago, so old posts saying Infinity was needed were correct at the time of posting.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 13 of 16

Looking at some of C1Rider earlier  posts they do not seem to be on the    PAYG service

https://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Vision-box/Essentials-saving-offer/m-p/1151520

suggests they were on a £12.50 month contract which sounds the legacy TV Unlimited one.

IF that is the case then is the issue of how such customers migrate to Youview as BT  don't offer thev TV Unlimited package anymore only the Essentials and Essentials Extra plus boltons

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 14 of 16

Yes, BT haven't made it very clear whether or not all customers on silver boxes can take the Youview upgrade offer and just continue with their current BT TV contract. If continuing with the current contract you would think that nothing is ended and no new TV contract is signed (just the new BT broadband conditions have to be taken up). I would see that as similar to adding the free BT Sport pack where everything else continues as is but you have committed to BT broadband for an extended period.

So would a customer like C1Rider stay on the £12.50 TV Unlimited package? If they have already completed the 12 month minimum term for that would they still be able to cancel at any time in future with just the normal 30 days notice?

OR

Would they have to move to a new contract based on the newer TV Essential/Entertainment/Bolt-ons model and would that also entail starting a whole new BT TV 12 month minimum term?

These are not trivial questions. Some people on the old TV PAYG package were told they'd have to start a new TV Essential contract and incur added costs, others were told that there would be no change at all.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 15 of 16

@umpire wrote:

The BT Sport over ADSL service was only announced a few days ago, so old posts saying Infinity was needed were correct at the time of posting.

Just to make things clear.

A small number of customers have been receiving a limited multicast TV service over ADSL for up to a year (a bit hush, hush and strictly by invite only where it was technically possible). They receive the service on the black BT Vision+ boxes running the multicast version of the BT Vision+ New Look software. Some customers reported that certain HH2's worked ok with this. Others got older HH's upgraded to a HH3.

The available channels are as follows. Those who were already Sky Sports subscribers on the old TV aerial / viewing card service back in May/June 2013 could retain those channels on the ADSL service, but new Sky Sports subscriptions were not an option.

• BT Sport 1
  • BT Sport 2
  • ESPN
  • Sky Sports 1
  • Sky Sports 2

Last week BT started officially marketing a similar ADSL TV service via the web pages which is described as available for both BT Vision+ and BT Youview+ boxes. The available channels are listed as.

• BT Sport 1
  • BT Sport 2
  • ESPN

Not sure if a HH2 would work with this new service?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 16 of 16

Zulu17 you are right, I have the £12.50 TV package, have had it for a number of years.  The same package will cost me, after June 30th, £16 which is and increase of £21 over the contract I signed up for.

Regrading the HH2, again told that I am not on the list to receive a replacement, could mean it'll work, or not !!!!

I don't want to labour this point, sufficient to say it is my opinion that the person at BT who makes the rules doesn't communicate the meaning of them to the person who has to advise on them.

Thanks to all who have commented on this..

Cheers..

0 Ratings