Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tskales
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 11

"Limited Access"

Go to solution

Hello,

My BT Inifinity was activated on Monday, and there has been a problem using the free wifi service.

I've allowed my Mum(who lives elsewhere in town) to use our wifi login on her laptop, but she has been having some issues with the connection. Occassionally the connection will stop, and a small yellow warning symbol will appear over the icon that displays your wireless connection strength, and it will say "limited access".

I've solved this by troubleshooting the connection, and it has automatically corrected whatever was causing the problem. This makes it seem that their wasn't a problem with the wifi service, but something else, otherwise it would not have been so easy to correct by my actions alone.

This becomes irritating when it happens frequently, and i would like some help understanding why the connection stops randomly and the message "limited access" pops up.

Thanks.

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 11

Re: "Limited Access"

Go to solution

There are a number of reasons why this could be happening. This is just a few.

Wireless connections are very susceptible to intererence which can cause them to drop out.

It could be caused by a weak signal which can be caused by distance from the transmitting router, signal having to pass through walls etc.

The BTWifi disconnects if it is not used for 15 minutes.

BTWifi's transmitting distance is pretty limited, probably a maximum of about 25meters on a good day. 

It may be that the wireless adaptor drivers are needing updated on your mother's laptop.

It may be that the transmitting homehub is needing reset.

Tskales
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 11

Go to solution

Thanks for responding.

I've had the connection drop out before, and it doesn't display the "limited access" message. Instead, the icon that displays the wireless signal strength is greyed out and an orange star appears over the icon. The "limited access" message seems to be something new as far as my experience with wifi goes.

I've also gotten the "limited access" message here at home when i've been testing the wifi, and my hub is only meters away.

I was thinking it was something to do with how the wireless adapter may be configured, but i'm not tech savvy enough to know where to start with that. The wireless driver is up to date, though.

If it is something related to a weak signal, is there some sort of signal booster i could use to improve the connection?

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 11

Go to solution

As far as I am aware you will not be able to boost the BTWifi signal but I could be wrong on that.

The limited access can happen when the wireless signal is still being broadcast so your computer still picks up the signal and you will have local access to the router and devices connected to the router but for what ever reason the connection to the Internet has been lost.  

What can also happen is the whole wireless signal is lost (strength greyed out) then it connects again on its own (no longer greyed out) but does not re-connect to the Internet (Limited access). Switching the computers wireless off and on or using Windows trouble shooter usually remakes the connection. 

If your computer stays connected and it is only very occasionally dropping out then I would suggest it is not a problem with your wireless adaptor configuration or computer. It is more likely wireless interference or a line blib that has caused the router to loose its broadband connection temporarily and it is something that you may just have to live with because that type of fault is difficult to diagnose and fix.

If it is frequently dropping out it may be that you have a fault on your line or the homehub is faulty and would need further investigation.

Tskales
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 11

Go to solution
Ok. That clears things up a bit.

Would purchasing a usb adapter for my Mum help at all? Do you think that maybe the built in wireless adapter is not up to par, and a usb adapter with wider range would improve the connection?
0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 11

Go to solution

I assume she is getting the BTWifi signal from a nearby neighbours Homehub.

A new USB adaptor may help or something like a Solwise Rocket Long Range USB Adapter which has a large aerial. I have just fitted one to my workshop where I was getting a one bar signal and now it gets four bars. It might not be practicable for your mother depending where you can site it. Obviously it would be best out doors but will work OK inside.

There are similar USB adaptors which may be more suitable for her situation. 

Tskales
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 11

Go to solution
There are several wifi signals in the area my Mum lives according the map on the BT wifi site. There's 3 along her street, with the closest one being about 3 houses down.

I purchased wifi access and tested it at my Mum's house before i committed to BT, and in a bedroom upstairs i could get a full 5 bars on the signal icon depending on where i positioned my computer. The highest connection speed i got once was 8meg, which is quite impressive for wifi.

I would like to try using just a USB adapter, if you could recommend one for me. The aerial option is something i will look into if needs be.
0 Ratings
conrad
Recognised Expert
Message 8 of 11

Go to solution

I think it could be likely that your mum is being 'kicked off' the neighbours hub when they start using it especially if there is more than one device in use.

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 11

Go to solution

The solwise aerial actually has a USB wireless "n" adaptor which is built in. If you are getting 5 bars and a speed of 8Mbps then I don't think you will improve on that so a new wireless adaptor might not help unless of course the signal is not as good where your mother is actually sitting when using the computer.

As regards recommending a wireless adaptor other than making sure it is an "n" enabled adaptor I would stick to known brands. A search on a well known Internet shopping site will provide you with plenty of choice and user reviews.

Tskales
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 11

Go to solution

@conrad

I never experienced this in the past when i would pay for wifi access at my Mum's.

I could use it all day without problems, as long as my PC was in a specific position in my room, the connection was almost flawless.

0 Ratings