cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Slated
Contributor
Message 1 of 3

"Out of Area" phone spam, from ... guess who?

From about 10PM last night, continuously through to 11AM this morning, I've been relentlessly spammed by some "Out of Area" caller.

Normally I refuse to answer such calls, for exactly the same reasons I use BT's Anonymous Caller Reject service, but this one was so persistent it was driving me insane, so I finally answered the call.

Guess who the caller was.

BT

Specifically, it was the "BT Text" service, spamming me with a text message someone had sent to my non-SMS landline, for some silly reason (a mistake, presumably). This automated system also provided me with information on how to stop this spam, which I have apparently been opted in to, but the website it directed me to is apparently for sale (fixedtext.com).

This raises several fundamental questions:

1. Why was I automatically opted in to an extremely harassing service I don't want, without my consent?
  2. Why is this unwanted service so annoyingly persistent, thus constituting harassment? Surely it should just call once, then give up.
  3. Why is one of BT's own services "Out of Area", thus circumventing call-screening?
  4. Why can't BT treat "Out of Area" calls the same as "Anonymous Calls", for the purpose of automatic rejection?
  5. Who are (or rather were) "fixedtext.com", and why is BT passing my private details onto a third party without my consent, in contravention of the Data Protection Act?
  6. The nature of this call is such that, even now, I'm not convinced it was genuine, and that I may have been the intended victim of a vishing attack (e.g. a Premium Rate scam). If BT must insist on spamming people with these calls, could they at least make the attempt to clearly and promptly identify that this is a BT service, not use or reference third parties or parked domains as identification, and ensure that the call complies with Ofcom regulations on caller identification.

Details:

Caller: BT (unproven)

Number: Unavailable (Out of Area)

Support numbers quoted: 0845 602 1111 and  0800 587 5252

Support Website quoted: www,fixedtext.com (unavailable)

Until a trusted party at BT can confirm this is indeed a genuine call, I have no choice but to treat it as suspicious, and as such any further calls of this nature will be reported to Ofcom. If any third parties received my personal details without my consent, in connection with this service, then I will also be raising a complaint with the Information Commissioner's Office. Mostly though, I would just like to know why I was opted in to this spam, and why the calling system refuses to properly identify itself using CLI?

0 Ratings
2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
cable
Message 2 of 3

Re: "Out of Area" phone spam, from ... guess who?

I was reading about BT's text messaging service somewhere else on the internet and also on this forum. Unfortunately, having to register to make a comment I have now lost the link.

However, a similar problem with BT has also  been driving us crazy this evening. An allegeged text messaging service from BT, which is accessible to all and sundry, scammers et al., allegedly, calling from 0845 602 1111 has been ringing every 15 minutes from about 9pm.

WE DO NOT HAVE A BT PHONE, and we do not have a text phone. NOR IS OUR PHONE USED EXCEPT FOR EMERGENCIES,OUR MAIN PHONE IS A MOBILE.

BT, PLEASE STOP HARASSING PEOPLE!!!!

I have reserarched this number on the net, and people have lodged complaints on several web-sites trying to find ways of stopping these incessant nuisance calls from this same number. These complaints seem to date back some years, so why is it still happening???

0 Ratings
caerdydd
Contributor
Message 3 of 3

Re: "Out of Area" phone spam, from ... guess who?

As they are BT Text then the calls are originating from the person trying to text you. It is just the same as someone calling you, they are just using the BT network to do it.

To Opt out from recieving the text as voice you would need to dial 0800 587 5252.

For SMS originating on T Mobile or Virgin then you would need to Opt out from their platform on 07953 966 066.

You need to dial these numbers from the phone you wish to Opt out.