cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 1 of 9

"Primary" email address restriction removed on migration?

Looking at this screenshot am I right to assume that the old BTYahoo "primary" email address restriction is removed? It was not possible, then became possible only with higher-lever support I think, to change the primary to another (usuallly desirable when after many years of use and attracting undesirable levels of spam). But I infer from the pic that one can simply switch the "favourite" (aka "primary" before the migration?) to another.

That could be useful.

(Thanking God there's a "u" in "favourite" there, btw)

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 9

Re: "Primary" email address restriction removed on migration?

The 'primary' email address can be changed via 'Edit profile' - there is a verification email sent to the new 'primary' email address, which requires confirmation/activation by entering BT ID password.

There is scope for confusion as the verification displays:

We're changing your username to newaccount@btinternet.com. Your username will not change until you supply your password below.
For security, please now enter your password.

So, which password do you supply: Email password? NO! BT ID password? YES!

Marking an email address as 'Favourite' makes emails for that address the 'default' (displays them first) when in 'Email'.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 9

are you sure you can change the primary email address as this must be very new - you could never change the primary btinternet address.  you can change the favourite address for mail

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 4 of 9

@imjolly wrote:

are you sure you can change the primary email address as this must be very new - you could never change the primary btinternet address.  you can change the favourite address for mail

And that's where the confusion has arisen - on the new interface (well, all that I've seen of it on that screenshot because I'm not migrated) there is no designation as "Primary" against any of the email addresses, just "Favourite". Which is why I have asked.

P.S. Searched for help on this in BT and they didn't recognise my Primary address Smiley SurprisedSmiley SurprisedSmiley Surprised

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 9

@imjolly wrote:

Yes, I'm sure, because I've done this recently without any BT mod intervention.

In older times, the 'primary' email address managed (owned!) all the subaccounts.

In the new regime, it is the BT ID that gives you access to services like bills, emails, BT Sport, BT Cloud, BT Wi-fi, and management rights to the subaccounts.

The BT ID is simply a moniker for login to the BT account, it just happens to be the same as the primary/main/linked email address where BT 'can send you important service messages, such as letting you know that your latest bill is ready.' I'm getting bill notifications at my 'changed' primary email address.

The BT ID password can be different to the primary email password - I have posted a thread about this.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 9

@dilosec wrote:

@imjolly wrote:

In older times, the 'primary' email address managed (owned!) all the subaccounts.

In the new regime, it is the BT ID that gives you access to services like bills, emails, BT Sport, BT Cloud, BT Wi-fi, and management rights to the subaccounts.

The BT ID is simply a moniker for login to the BT account, it just happens to be the same as the primary/main/linked email address where BT 'can send you important service messages, such as letting you know that your latest bill is ready.' I'm getting bill notifications at my 'changed' primary email address.

The BT ID password can be different to the primary email password - I have posted a thread about this.

so you can't change the original primary email address but you can change the BTID or favourite which is used for new BT mail etc

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 7 of 9

@imjolly wrote:

@dilosec wrote:

@imjolly wrote:

so you can't change the original primary email address but you can change the BTID or favourite which is used for new BT mail etc

Thanks imjolly and dilosec. I'm afraid I don't understand "you can't change the original primary email address". Change it to what? Do the BT Help pages give any clues about this? Presumably it is the default "Favourite" in the new system, but knowing all that is going wrong that could be a misguided assumption. There appears to be no "primary address" label on the new system. So what happens if you try to make one of the secondaries "Favourite"?

Do you mean you can't delete the old "primary"? I wonder what happens if you do, once you are migrated. Lose access and management rights to all the secondaries?

Do all "secondary" accounts have to be associated with the BTID? If so then they can all access the account management interface.

Stupid, but related, question... is the BTID the same as My BT? Or is "MyBT" only accessible by the "primary" account holder the one that can't be "changed", just as in the good old secure days of the BT account and separate login email system.

I wish I could get the answers to these questions on the BT help pages, but apparently have to pay to call a Help Line because BT doesn't recognise my long-standing email address.Smiley MadSmiley MadSmiley Mad

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 9

This is my take on this thread and how I see "primary email accounts" after migration.

Keep in mind that new customers (Main account holder) to BT do not have a "primary" email address. They only have a BTID. They select any email address to use as their email address for BT to contact them. This email address is also their BTID.

Once they have set up their BTID which needs to be an email address but not necessarily a BT one in MyBT, they can manage their BTemail addresses by going through the "Manage BTMail" portal in "My Extras" Once there, they set up their own BT email address and link it with their BT account which means they control it. They can do that with as many of the 11 BTemail address as they want or they can then gift an email address to friends and family.

Once they "gift" it to friends and family the receiver has to set up their own MyBT and BTID with that email address. If they do that they have total control over that email address and it can not be accessed or changed by the BT account holder. It can only be deleted by them.

If the family member does not take control of the email address it remains under the control of the main BT account holder as if it had not been gifted and if the BT main account holder links it to their BTID they can access it in the same manner as any email address.

The "favorite" marker only makes the email address that is marked as such appear first in the drop down box if you have more than one BT email account linked to your BTmail.

Once you are migrated and completed the process the above applies to you. When you log on via webmail for the first time after being migrated it effectively takes you through the process that a new customer goes through but because you may already have a BTID it takes you through linking it to your email address and like wise with gifting any sub-accounts that you may have had. 

To make the process as painless as possible, prior to being migrated I changed my BTID ( via my profile in MyBT), which was not an email address and had a separate password to be the same as my BT email address and password. By doing this the migration was a simple three step process without any problems during or since.

This effectively does away with "primary" email address.  Your BTID now becomes your method of accessing everything BT related, ie MyBT, BTWifI-Fon etc. 

Any email address that you gifted, although they will have a BTID will not be able to accesss BTWifi etc because they are not the BT main account holder.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 9

@FloFosterJenkins wrote:
Thanks imjolly and dilosec. I'm afraid I don't understand "you can't change the original primary email address". Change it to what? There is no longer a primary email address, only the email address that is your BTID which can be any email adddress you want. ie change it to what email address you want as often as you want. Do the BT Help pages give any clues about this? Presumably it is the default "Favourite" in the new system, but knowing all that is going wrong that could be a misguided assumption. There appears to be no "primary address" label on the new system. So what happens if you try to make one of the secondaries "Favourite"? The "favourite" only needs to be applied and only if you choose to do so if you link more than one BT email address to your MyBT. All it does is make it first on the list. It does not give it any more privileges.

Do you mean you can't delete the old "primary"? I wonder what happens if you do, once you are migrated. Lose access and management rights to all the secondaries? You can delete any email address you want but not the one that is at that time your BTID. Once deleted it can not be restored.

Do all "secondary" accounts have to be associated with the BTID? If so then they can all access the account management interface. Only the "secondary" email addresses that you want to be associated with your BTID will be. The others will be associate with whom ever you "gift" them to provided they accept the "gift" and set up their own MyBT and BTID.

Stupid, but related, question... is the BTID the same as My BT? Or is "MyBT" only accessible by the "primary" account holder the one that can't be "changed", just as in the good old secure days of the BT account and separate login email system. Your "MyBT" is your MyBT and can only be accessed by your BTID. I have explained about it being an email address but not necessarily a BT one. If you don't make it an email address , which is possible if you follow dilosec's instructions, I don't think you are able to access BTWifi-Fon.

I wish I could get the answers to these questions on the BT help pages, but apparently have to pay to call a Help Line because BT doesn't recognise my long-standing email address.Smiley MadSmiley MadSmiley Mad

0 Ratings