cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 30

"Unlimited" BT Broadband - Download speeds locked at speeds of 15kbps!

Since February 16th something has been choking my broadband connection literally pretty much to death. 15kbps download speed doesn't constitute broadband. That is, nevertheless, pretty much all we've been getting.

ADSL Line Status Connection Information
Line state:    Connected
Connection time:    0 days, 03:54:48
Downstream:    2.5 Mbps
Upstream:    448 Kbps

ADSL Settings
VPI/VCI:    0/38
Type:    PPPoA
Modulation:    G.992.1 Annex A
Latency type:    Interleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up):    7.5 dB / 17.0 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up):    57.6 dB / 31.5 dB
Output power (Down/Up):    18.2 dBm / 12.3 dBm
FEC Events (Down/Up):    123805 / 0
CRC Events (Down/Up):    37 / 1
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote):    0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote):    0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote):    0 / 0
HEC Events (Down/Up):    258 / 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote):    23 / 3

Already had an engineer round, called for a reset - seemed to fix the problem for a few days - that held almost good for 8 whole days however, come peak - broad band would throttle down. Now its back to what it was, throttled to 15kbps. Doesn't mater what you try to download or where you download it from - p2p or http - makes no difference.

Current maximum just about makes 15kbps.

How do I get this fixed, please? Getting pretty **bleep** PO'd.

0 Ratings
29 REPLIES 29
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 30

Re: "Unlimited" BT Broadband - Download speeds locked at speeds of 15kbps!

Hi Welcome to the community forums

Here is a basic guide to getting help from the community members done by CL Keith Please read through the link posted http://forumhelp.dyndns.info/speed/first_steps.html

once you have posted the information asked for then the community members can help you more

Thank You

This is a customer to customer self help forum the only BT presence here are the forum moderators

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 3 of 30

Hub Type: BT Home Hub 3

BT Wholesale Broadband Performance Test

Download Speed (Mbps): 0.13
Uploadspeed (Mbps): 0.31
Ping Latenncy(ms): 95.63

Thought I should add - it's now gone midnight, UK. Speed begining to increase now Peak is over. Currently getting a wolloping 16.8kbps. Why, at this speed my wife and me are worried our organs may rupture under the unatural pressue...

Anything else?

Update: 00:20, GMT. Test download now coming in at 108kbps. This has been pretty endemic of the pattern going on with this. From around 16:00 Friday to Midnight Saturday download speeds become throttled to 15kbps. This happens during the week, also. Some days the line will pcik up, some days it just won't.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 30

can you please run the second part of the speed test the diagnostic test have you been restating the hub to try and increase your speed
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 30

it looks as though your IP profile has dropped to its minimum due to restarts of the hub you need now to maintain a stable connection with no hub restarts for the next 3/5 to allow the profile to rise automatically
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 6 of 30

Nope. Hub resets itself all by its self. Thank you for asking. Often find it's dropped the connection when we're having a bad day.

Results you asked for:

Re-run BT Wholesale Broadband Performance Test (00:27am)

Download Speed (Mbps): 1.85
Uploadspeed (Mbps): 0.35
Ping Latenncy(ms): 72.25

1. Best Effort Test:

Download Speed : 1.99 Mbps

Your speed test has completed and the results are shown above, however during the test an error occurred while trying to retrieve additional details regarding your service. As a result we are unable to determine if the speed you received during the test is acceptable for your service. Please re-run the test if you require this additional information.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 30

ok are you connected to the test socket

your download speed is now ok   

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 30

Highlighted
Beginner
Message 9 of 30

Smiley Very Happy... I've been connected to the **bleep** test socket since February, John. The engineer even fitted us with a brand spanky new socket, just to eliminate any possibility of bad copper.

Now peak is over, indeed. Yes. Download speeds are higher. Currently notching up 167kbps! Three minutes ago I crossed the Heisenberg Threashold, ended up in 1947 and shot my own Grandfather....

Never time travel with a loaded gun, John. It's bound to end in shinanikins.

But. On a serious note. We're supposed to be getting between 1-2mbps on this thing, John. Now we're on unlimited. That's what we're supposed to be getting. Highest it has yet gone is 300kbps. That's the best it does.

We don't switch off the hub. I've had it running constantly. **bleep** thing keeps dropping its connection. Doesn't do it when speeds are up. buy when they're crawling - and by this I mean litterally struggling to make it up to 15kbps - the poor thing probably feels like its had it's throat cut.

PS: Thank you for the info. We use adsl filtered NTE5 faceplate. Enginner checked the line March 6th. Lines fine - he found the problem came down to the SNR being set to 15db Interleaved when (for our distance from the exhange box) really we should be set to 9 db Interleaved. Called for a remote reset - immediate pick up. This held fine for about 8 days but, as the days went by - speeds started dropping as peak kicked in - now we're in the possition we are.

The question is how do we get this fixed.

Pretty sure the problem is with the Automated Traffic Nazi at the exchange. When it throttles back the line - the Hub 3 drops the connection. When the Hub 3 drops the connection....

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 30

the speed test is showing a 1.8mb download which is correct for your connection speed of 2.5mb
as your IP Profile will be at 2.00mb  

unlimited  refers to the amount of data you can download per month nothing related to connection speed 

0 Ratings