cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 11 of 30

Re: "Unlimited" BT Broadband - Download speeds locked at speeds of 15kbps!

have you tried the quiet line test as explained in my first post
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 12 of 30

Which is holding true for now. Please reffer to my response above:

Traffic Control throttles the line at peak. When the lines throttled down, teh hub drops the connection. When the hub drops the connection this causes the result you describe.

The question is: how do I go about getting the Automated Traffic Nazi at the exchange to stop throttling my Broadband connection to such an extent my Hub is forced to reboot itself.

Becasue this is (essentially) what's happening. The line is being throttled so much the Hub can't find the broadband signal.

Come next peak period, we will be throttled back down to 15kbps - trust me. I've been living with this for a month and we're supposed to be "Unlimited"

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 13 of 30

Actually, "Unlimited" also reffers to traffic control. It says so in terms and conditions. As to the line test - the engineer ran the test.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 14 of 30

This is a customer to customer self help forum the only BT presence here are the forum moderators

without information from you like the current state of the quiet line /test test socket etc the community members like my self cannot help you or guide you in the appropriate direction to start with the hub disconnections have to be stopped as that will affect your connections performance

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 15 of 30

the only thing that has now become unlimited is p2p protocols on new contracts started after the 1st of February or if you have re contracted and asked for the unlimited p2p feature all other contract remain p2p capped

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 16 of 30

"the only thing that has now become unlimited is p2p protocols on new contracts started after the 1st of February or if you have re contracted and asked for the unlimited p2p feature all other contract remain p2p capped"

Mmmmm.... Well. Thank you for that information. I have been considering running my current situation by Trading Standards and the Office of Fair Trading. After all, a download connection speed of 15kbps hardly consitutes the term "Broadband" in any technical sense whatsoever - which is the service I am being charged for by BT, paying for - and not being provided with. Consistantly.

So. Thank you for that.

However, in the interim - if you could possibly confine the conversation to the technical matter to hand. Would appreciate that.

Current ADSL Stats: Sunday, 10:50am:

Line state:    Connected
Connection time:    0 days, 00:33:08
Downstream:    352 Kbps
Upstream:    448 Kbps

ADSL Settings
VPI/VCI:    0/38
Type:    PPPoA
Modulation:    G.992.1 Annex A
Latency type:    Interleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up):    15.6 dB / 15.0 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up):    58.0 dB / 31.5 dB
Output power (Down/Up):    15.3 dBm / 12.3 dBm
FEC Events (Down/Up):    62121 / 63
CRC Events (Down/Up😞    1005 / 52
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote):    0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote):    0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote):    0 / 0
HEC Events (Down/Up):    2621 / 58
Error Seconds (Local/Remote):    610 / 284

Already painfully aware what is causing the Hub to drop the connection - it's the traffic management system at the exchange. The SNR was reset from 15 db to 9bd Interleaved 10 days ago. as you can see, it's currently nothing of the sort.

How do I go about getting this fixed, please?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 17 of 30

your connection time is only 33 min is that due to router dropping connection or manual reset?  you have a lot of crc/hec errors and error seconds for such a short time connected and this with high noise margin suggests a noise problem with your line.  I am unsure from your previous post whether you are actually connected to the test socket or not.

Traffic management won't cause drops in your connection but high number of errors will.  with your connection speed now down to 352 your profile will be 250 making download slow like dialup

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 18 of 30

if you could try the quiet line test as asked for and post back the results also as imjolly has posted the high level of CRC's and HEC's are the cause of your speed and disconnections this link is worth while reading and trying the suggestions http://community.bt.com/t5/BB-Speed-Connection-Issues/Poor-Broadband-speed/m-p/14217#M8397
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 19 of 30

@ imjolly - Better - thank you.

The problem is this severe throttling experienced only occurs during hours of peak-broadband activity as set by the network locally. Rest of the time it's - though not exactly brilliant - acceptable. Let me show you a side-by-side comparison (morning and evening) might help illustrate this better:

ADSL-Stats---Sunday,-March-17th.jpgAs you can see - from period of something over 12 hours, the connection between the Hub and exchange only remained constant for a period of roughly 5 and a half hours or so - basically, from about 18:00 onwards.

When throttled the downstream actually gets throttled down to absolutely nothing - 15kb becomes the new maximum and the connection stays in this mode until peak-period is passed.

Has been doing this since February 16th - not a day earlier. Over the weesend's this same pattern emerges for the same period - Saturday all day and night through to 18:00 Sunday evening - connection throttled right the way back to 15kbps maximum - and continually dropping down in similarly decremental steps to absolute zero before being picked up again and rising to the 15kbps limit imposed.

In the process the Hub looses the broadband signal, has to reconnect itself.

There have been no manual resets at any point.

As soon as the peak period (note - as set locally by the exchange) ends, line speeds start picking back up. It will stay that way until the next period of peak is set at the exchange and then we will go back through this whole rigmorole again.

Engineers have already checked the line for problems, first thing they have done. Know there's nothing wrong with the wwiring and so forth this end, first thing that's been checked and re-checked every time I have to go through the rigmarole of reporting this problem.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 20 of 30

Capture of Reset:

Managed to get a capture of before and after - as you can see, capture remained stable all night, about an hour and a half after the first capture (left) - connection throttled to zero, Hub had to re-connect - back to square one.

From here on in the line will do either one of two things:

• a: Remain choked to a max of 30kbps for the rest of the day until peak time kicks in around 16:00 pm.
  • b: Increase in speed, roughly doubling on each increase, in steps of roughly 30 minutes till about 14:00 - 15:00 - returning to full speed till around 16:00 where apon being choked back down to 15kbps max.

I'll let you know which.

0 Ratings