cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 1 of 12

"Your Mac is at Risk"

BT Net Protect Plus was fine when I installed it on my Mac a few months ago, but most of the time it now has a little red circle with an exclamation mark on the icon, and when I open the console, it says: "Your Mac is at Risk" and wants me to renew my software.  I'm reluctant to download it again because it'll use up one of my downloads.  When it first did it, I phoned BT and was on the phone with someone trying to work out how to fix it for about 20 minutes when it suddenly fixed itself and went back to being happy again.  Now, though, it's red every day.  😞  Anyone have any ideas why and how to fix it please?

It claims the last scan was 6 December and the last update was 12 March.  If it's significant, the Version is 1.0.0.1 (937) and the AddId is 691 (which I assume is BT's reference).  The Engine Version is 5400.1158 and the DAT Version and Creation Date are 6646.0000 and 11/03/2012 respectively.

Thanks!

Richard

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 12

Re: "Your Mac is at Risk"

If I was you I'd bite the bullet and renew or go for a free service like AVG(not that I'm promoting another antivirus) that won't be anywhere near as annoying when the version is out of date.
If you think i'v helped... geez a biscuit.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 3 of 12

Thanks, but it doesn't look like AVG do free antivirus for Mac.

Anyway, suddenly, out of the blue, my BT Net Protect McAfee seems happy again!  It hasn't worked for days - possibly weeks - but it must have noticed me complain because it's back in working order.  Smiley Happy

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 12

why would you need an anti virus for mac?
they dont get virus's
unless you run windows on them
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 5 of 12

I get the following message  on the 8th of every month.

Your Mac is at Risk , Subscription expired. 

I have to reinstall McAfee (BT net plus), and then set up all my network permissions, this is time consuming and is very annoying.

Why dose this happen and what can I do to stop it happening please?

I used to be able to just get a new licence key and then renew it but this facility no-longer is available. 

I know the mac is less vulnerable to Viruses but it is not immune, as people think. If it were why do McAfee and BT provide the protection?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 6 of 12

Uninstall it. AV for Mac is more trouble than it's worth. No system is completely safe but the Mac OS has it's own built in safeguards. You don't need AV.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 7 of 12

@Dode wrote:

You don't need AV.

And if you do, McAfee is one of the worst choices. There are plenty of better products available for £0.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 8 of 12

Long-time Mac user here and I run Sophos AV for Mac.

Please don't get sucked in by the "Security by obscurity" line regarding Macs; although there's not very much malware/virii that affect the platform, that doesn't mean that won't always be the case.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 12

My advice and that of others on the forum would be to uninstall BTNetprotect. It can cause problems on some computers and is a resource hog. Do a search of the forum to see the problems.

If you do want to uninstall BTNetprotect use this guide and make sure you use the BTNetprotect/McAfee removal tool after you have restarted your computer.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/13523

If you do want to re use BT Netprotect, uninstall it using this guide along with the BTNetprotect/McAfee removal tool after a restart and then reinstall. This might resolve your problem.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/38369/

While there have been no cases of a Mac getting a virus it is more likely that you will get malware such as a Trojan which can cause redirection of websites etc.

It's up to you but I would install something.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 10 of 12

@gg30340 wrote:
While there have been no cases of a Mac getting a virus it is more likely that you will get malware such as a Trojan which can cause redirection of websites etc.

Very sage advice there, gg. 🙂

One feature that I like about Sophos AV, is it has in-built web protection, so will block and warn me if I mis-type a URL, or click a hyperlink that would otherwise take me to a "high risk" website.

Sophos AV is very lightweight, sits in my menu bar and does its job with the minimum of fuss. What more can I ask?

0 Ratings