Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
soupernoodle
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 69

"Your connection is not private NET::ERR_CERT_AUTHORITY_INVALID"

Go to solution

I've recently moved house, and every now and then when browsing, I'll get this message in chrome and be unable to do anything except refresh and wait for it to stop.

"Your connection is not private

Attackers might be trying to steal your information from www. reddit. com (for example, passwords, messages or credit cards).

NET::ERR_CERT_AUTHORITY_INVALID"

It isn't browser or device specific, because it also does it on Microsoft Edge, and it's also happened on my phone.

I've checked the time and date and it seems to be right (seems to be the most common cause of it) is it the router causing it? I don't understand why it happens randomly and on websites i'm browsing without issues 99% of the time.

0 Ratings
68 REPLIES 68
Liam_
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 69

Re: "Your connection is not private NET::ERR_CERT_AUTHORITY_INVALID"

Go to solution

I would suspect it's due to an out of date certificate on the site you are visiting.  The invalid part of the error message gives you the hint.

0 Ratings
soupernoodle
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 69

Go to solution

It's not to do with the website because it has happened on many different websites, and when it happens i'm unable to access any website (Or maybe even the internet at all but it's hard to test)

It just happened again now, and first it said the home hub was having issues connecting to the internet, then it gave me the "your connection is not private" message when i tried accessing other websites.

0 Ratings
Liam_
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 69

Go to solution

Yep.  Expired certificate.  Just checked and got this from the Browser Console.

api.ip2info.org:443 uses an invalid security certificate.

The certificate expired on 02 July 2016 21:39. The current time is 07 January 2017 21:01.

Error code: <a id="errorCode" title="SEC_ERROR_EXPIRED_CERTIFICATE">SEC_ERROR_EXPIRED_CERTIFICATE</a>

0 Ratings
soupernoodle
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 69

Go to solution

So are you saying the issue is a website (reddit.com) issue? Because it just happened again and i wasn't on reddit, just streaming to my chrome cast which cut out, then when i tried to restream every website gave me the same issue.

0 Ratings
Liam_
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 69

Go to solution

The certificate issue is actually more common than most people think.

There was a problem with a certificate issuing authority a little while ago, also you would probably be surprised how often some webmasters 'forget' to renew certificates.

0 Ratings
soupernoodle
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 69

Go to solution

I get what you're saying, but I don't think the issue is on the websites end, because it's happened over 10+ different websites now, and when it happens i cannot access ANY website at all Then it goes back to working fine. And like i said, even my chromecast will cut off when it happens to my computer, as well as any other device relying on the connection.

Also, when i check the websites certificates online they say it's fine and due to run out in April 2018? I've checked reddit and it doesn't seem to be happening to anyone else. Before i moved i never had the issue, as soon as i moved in here with this internet the issue started, so I'm thinking it's something to do with the hardware.

0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 69

Go to solution
It is not a broadband problem or anything to do with hardware as has already been explained
0 Ratings
soupernoodle
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 69

Go to solution

Nothing has been explained at all.. He said it was to do with the website which isn't the case, when i checked websites certificate it is up to date, and so is every website i have an issue with when the problem occurs. And no other user has reported a problem similar to mine on these websites.

I was just playing a game, i wasn't on any website and i got disconnected, when i tried to go onto google home page i received the same message. So please tell how this is a certificate issue?

So does googles home page also have an out date certificate? And even if it did, why would every single website also display the same error when the problem occurs? And my internet connection effectively cut out? Why did i just get disconnected from my game when that was the only thing happening on the network? None of this has been explained in the slightest.

0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 69

Go to solution
I suggest you try a google search for the error message it is not a BT problem
0 Ratings