cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
james-h
Message 11 of 18

Re: " connected with limited access"

Go to solution

Thanks - updating the driver did the trick, and pretty painless. I think the help advice might put this higher up the list of things to try, as it is likely to affect anyone running older (as in 4 years old) kit. Tks again. J

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 12 of 18

Go to solution

@james-h wrote:

Thanks - updating the driver did the trick, and pretty painless. I think the help advice might put this higher up the list of things to try, as it is likely to affect anyone running older (as in 4 years old) kit. Tks again. J

Yes I, manage the help page, and will do as you suggest. Thank you for your feedback, which will be of benefit to other community users Smiley Happy

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 13 of 18

Go to solution

Help page is now updated, thanks.

0 Ratings
MadX_ZW
Message 14 of 18

Go to solution

TY all for your posts. I too had the same problem with Limited Access from my wifes laptop. It had been working perfectly for a couple of weeks without any errors. A couple of days ago the other wireless devices (ipods and older laptop) in the house developed "dropping" habits. I went through driver updates and software updates to get problem solution.

Fortunately the error was more easily solved then anticipated as I had a similar error/problem on the old total broadband hubs. I simply changed the wireless channel from the default/automatic channel of 6 to 9. The laptop instantly (within 2 seconds) switched from Limited Access to normal FULL INTERNET access.

So far the IPODS and other laptop are "happy" with the changes and are behaving at the moment.

I hope this helps others who are having similar problems. If not do the following in this order.

1. Restart the BT hub (Black Box that plugs into the White BT modem). Restarting is easy. Just pull the power cable out and wait 30 seconds before plugging it back in.

2. Update wireless adaptor drivers on your laptop/s. IPODs and IPADs will do this automatically and not very often as they are farely stable platforms. Powerdown all wireless devices and restart them. Sometimes driver updates require a complete shutdown to "wake" them up.

3. Lastly try changing the channels here http://192.168.1.254/. You will need the the ADMIN PASSWORD on the pull out tab from the hub. If this is your first time in this HUB SETTINGS menu you will be asked to change the password. Bit of a pain. All i did was change the 1st character/number by 1 digit, eg from 5 to 4 or A to B. remeber to change it on the fob pullout.  Click on the SETTINGS tab. Click on the "Review your wireless network settings" option. In the Wireless Channel section there are 2 things to view. The select a channel pulldown list (on automatic by default) and the current channel selected (on mine it was 6). I changed the channel to 9. Click apply. I would not suggest changing anything else in these menus but remember there is a restore default settings (RESET) pinhole button on the back of the hub so you can not break it. This includes the ADMIN PASSWORD lol.

0 Ratings
MNSH
Aspiring Contributor
Message 15 of 18

Go to solution

Dear Keith_Beddoe (I see that including the name Keith Beddoe will reach you)

I am  wondering if you would please be able to help me with my new connection problem, as I haven't had a solution yet, and searching for 'Access - Local Only' brought up this thread which you had solved.  I am not very technical but can follow instructions.  Here is my topic

http://community.bt.com/t5/Other-BB-Queries/unable-to-get-on-line-until-reset-network-adaptor/td-p/5...

and progress so far is that there don't seem to be any driver updates for my network adaptor.

Thanks, Matthew

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 16 of 18

Go to solution

I will take a look at the thread.

0 Ratings
marktrimmer
Message 17 of 18

Go to solution

Hi i had the same problem.Done everthing posiable to get internet working.Phoned BT (indian call centre) who are **bleep** useless.

The problem here is that BT are updating  telephone exchange to fibire optic and for a while you lose connection.

BT was phoning me daily to join fibire optic telling me its free (dont do it) becasue a freind of mine did it and his bill double.

You are paying for faster speed broadband which you actually dont get. I live in essex and my parents are having the same problem now and they live in norfolk he was on the call centre for over 2hours ,in the end the indian girl is sending he a new router and charging him for it .My dad 74 and believe the women. 

Stick with your broadband and it will soon be back to normal as my is just as fast.

I have not connection problems now.

Hope this clear a few points up for you

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 18 of 18

Go to solution
@marktrimmer
This post is a year old and the posters problem is solved

it was nothing to do with speed or fibre
Fibre is a different product and does not cause disconnections to standard broadband
0 Ratings