Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 18

re set of noise margin

Please can a moderator help me before I go nuts

Phoning BT is of no help for this problem, they don’t understand it.

I have Fibre to cabinet and have done for some months, for the last two months my sync speed has dropped from 8Mbps to 4 Mbps. I used to get a steady 8Mbps download and now I get 4, unwaveringly 4 never any higher.

I suspect the noise margin has gone adrift and all that is required is a reset of it, can I get anyone to do that for me? I’ve tried, really tried.

I have had this done at another property by an engineer who came to do something else and it took the sync speed from 2Mbps to 7Mbps (another fibre to cabinet set up, but with Sky) all it took was a phone call from him to Openreach, 30 seconds of someone’s time

Who do I have to bob for diamonds with to get this done?

Let me know and I’ll send you the phone number in question by PM

0 Ratings
17 REPLIES 17
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 18

Re: re set of noise margin

What's the IP profile?

The only way to have it done is by having an engineer come to your home and request it over the phone. It can't be done remotely.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Highlighted
Distinguished Expert
Message 3 of 18

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 18

The IP profile is 3.41 down from 7.something. reboots give a consitent IP profile of 3.41

It can be done remotley because that's what the engineer does when they come round, just call Openreach and reset it remotley!

It's crackers that this requires an engineer visit!

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 18

Yes only the engineer can request it. When I said remotely I meant it can't be done by someone that you call up.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 18

thanks Mr Bullitt. I'm not sure what that means for me in real terms? That it can be reset remotely after 17th June?

By me?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 18

Thanks webby. It's absolute madness. Surely someone from BT can do it without an engineer visit.

I was supposed to have an engineer visit this morning, he came, didn't even knock on the door and went away again (I found out when I called to see where he was) Apparently he decided that he couldn't fix the problem so he just buggered off.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 18

It is madness but that's how it is. Openreach won't give ISP's access too it like Wholesale did for ADSL circuits.
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 18

Thanks

It's just a license for Openreach to print money as they can cross charge other BT departments and other ISP operators. I should start a campaign of some sort. If only I wasn't so lazy.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 10 of 18

The problem is being looked into as far as I'm aware...
0 Ratings