Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
matas17
Beginner
Message 1 of 6

replacing BT infinity HomeHub3

Go to solution
Hello, so i was wondering can i replace homehub 3 with my own router. because it seems like its not doing its jobs and not giving me speed that i should get. I have bt infinity psckage 70 down 30 up and im not getting anywhere close to 70mb download speed. most i get is around 5 to 9mb/s. Also this stupid router sometimes restarts itself or loses connection which is quite annoying and makes me feel like im about to throw that stupid thing out the window.

So can i replace it with much better router then this crappy hh3?
0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: replacing BT infinity HomeHub3

Go to solution

yes   username bthomehub@btbroadband.com and any password  should be ok

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
anthonyUK
Expert
Message 3 of 6

Go to solution

I would check that the issue is with the router first but yes you can use other routers such as the ASUS RT-N66U or AC66/AC68 if you need AC wifi as these are so much more configurable and extremely fast.

These work with the wjite Openreach modem you currently have and there are some posts already explaining how simple it is to swap.

There are also single units from Billion, Draytek, TP-Link and ASUS but these are more expensive with the TP-Link W9980 being the low cost option of choice.

Is it just wifi that is slow or wired too?

0 Ratings
matas17
Beginner
Message 4 of 6

Go to solution

Its annoying that HH3 only has 1 gigabit port instead of all 4. Since I have other 3 pc's (including mine) running internet via cable, and wifi drops drasticly when im outside at the back yard.

Also wanted to ask about ASUS RT-N66U. So I just purchased it and I was wondering since i have my bt hh3 connected to this other white modem(or whatever it is) for bt infinity will i need to plug that red cable to the back of Asus modem or not?

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 6

Go to solution
If you are only using your Ethernet ports to connect to the internet, you don't need gigabits speed as your internet connection will only be 80Mb/s maximum anyway.
0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 6

Go to solution

If you are wanting to use the Asus you will need to disconnect the Homehub and plug the Asus into the port on the Openreach modem that the Homehub was using.

After you have done that you will need to set it up using the log on details imjolly posted.Once it is connected to the Internet you will then need to connect your devices to it.

0 Ratings