cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jhl1750
Message 1 of 7

sent emails bouncing back

for the last week or so our Norton prog has been giving messages which comes from our ISP (BT) apparently to say emails are not being sent, error 421. this is happening time and time again when we re-send the same emails. happening on 2 laptops - wireless, and desktop - hard wired and it's happening with more than one email address.

it is not down to size of attached files because some are straight text. anyone help please?!! it has never happened before and the Norton was installed yonks ago.

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: sent emails bouncing back

hi I suggest you try a Google search for that error there are many reference's to it
0 Ratings
jhl1750
Message 3 of 7

thanks John46, that was the 1st thing I did, and came across a few references but nothing quite like mine. am still getting the same emails bouncing back but have sent test emails to my other half and they went fine. it's a mystery and very annoying!

Jan

0 Ratings
John_H
Message 4 of 7

Hi,

I too have started getting these 421 bounce backs in the past couple of weeks.  The Norton help text makes it clear that they are only reporting an error message reported back from the mail server.  Have you tried disabling outgoing message scanning to see if you get a more helpful error message?  I'll give it a go tonight when I get a bit of time.

John

0 Ratings
Lulu291
Message 5 of 7

Doesn't work I'm afraid. Just did that it has since bounced back every email I've sent this afternoon - have to re-send up to 5 times in some instances. What on earth is going on at BT's end - this is completely unacceptable service.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 7

@Lulu291 wrote:
Doesn't work I'm afraid. Just did that it has since bounced back every email I've sent this afternoon - have to re-send up to 5 times in some instances. What on earth is going on at BT's end - this is completely unacceptable service.

Hi Welcome to the forums.

Do you have the full error message please ? (removing any personal details).

It sounds like either a local issue (perhaps an over zealous security product like Norton) or an individual account problem. It's certainly not a global issue as there would lots of reports about this.

Have you got SSL set, or a different port number in your mail client program ? Can you say what you are using, e.g Outlook, Thunderbird, Windows Mail etc.

0 Ratings
Benno69
Message 7 of 7

I have the problem in reverse. My friend is no longer able to send me e-cards from www.123greetings  as they are all being bounced back to the sender stating that the receivers domain will not accept. What have I done to alter my settings and what should I do to reverse it, please?

0 Ratings