cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 9

silver surfer new bt broadband customer. when my landline rings with an incoming call it cuts my bro

Go to solution

As a new BT broadband silver surfer, why do incoming calls on my landline cut my broadband connection and the phone line crackles loudly so that I cannot hear the caller? Do I need to attach another filter to the additional land line socket, which is on the opposite wall to the hub? It is a new build home with phone sockets in several rooms, with the main socket in the lounge, where the hub  is. Thank you.

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 9

Re: silver surfer new bt broadband customer. when my landline rings with an incoming call it cuts my

Go to solution

@ElaineW2

It sounds like a possible fault.  I don't know your level of technical knowlege so I will keep it simple. 

Do any of the sockets look like: 

A, B, C , D?A, B, C , D?

Kind Regards
CJT80
Say thanks by clicking the Thumbs Up icon. Have I resolved your issue? Click "Mark As Accepted Solution"
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 9

Re: silver surfer new bt broadband customer. when my landline rings with an incoming call it cuts my

Go to solution

Hi. Thank you. Main socket in lounge is like picture A, but the additional sockets have a silver backplate fitted to the wall with a narrow white strip with a tiny blue picture of a phone on it.  Does this help?  Sorry, I am not tech minded!!

0 Ratings
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 9

Go to solution

@ElaineW2

That's a perfect discription, thank you. 

OK so Main socket (as you have called it) is most likely the "Master" socket.. the 1st one from the line outside. 

Is the Hub/Router plugged into this? Is the phone plugged into it? 

Kind Regards
CJT80
Say thanks by clicking the Thumbs Up icon. Have I resolved your issue? Click "Mark As Accepted Solution"
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 9

Go to solution

The Hub is connected to the Master socket.  My phone is plugged into the additional socket, which I described, on the other side of the lounge.  (There are also two more of these additional sockets: in the hall and in my bedroom, which are not being used for anything at the moment).  I am brand new to BT community, so do not know what I am supposed to be doing!! Sorry!! 

0 Ratings
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 9

Go to solution

@ElaineW2

No need to apologise. 

So Master - Filter - Hub in 1 socket, phone in another. 

Does the phone have a Filter plugged between it and the socket?  Socket 2 - Filter? - Phone

Kind Regards
CJT80
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 9

Go to solution

The Hub Router has a filter between it and the Master socket, which I fitted, as this one was included in the Hub pack delivery.  I did not know that I had to fit another filter to the phone socket. Do I need to get one and fit it to the phone line cord?  When I phoned BT for help on this today they checked the network and said that there aren't any faults, so they booked an engineer to come to me on Monday.  She didn't ask me about filters!  She did point out that if there is no fault with the BT equipment that I might have to pay an £85 charge!!

0 Ratings
Recognised Expert
Message 8 of 9

Go to solution

@ElaineW2

Sorry yes now I understand. 

You need a filter for every socket something is attached to. 

If you require more you can buy them from the offical BT Shop or most major retailers. 

Kind Regards
CJT80
Message 9 of 9

Go to solution

Thank you so very much.  I will go to PC World tomorrow and get some.  It is disappointing that the person at BT this morning didn't talk me through the filter issue.  It would have saved me a lot of stress plus your valuable time!  However, this has been a good experience for me and I have enjoyed being connected with the BT Community.  I appreciate all of your patient help.  Bless you.  Elaine (I can cancel the engineer's visit now!) 

0 Ratings