Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 19

slow broadband, arrrghhhhh

Go to solution

why is it i cant get good speed in my house when 4 engineers get 2.8 meg through their machine they plug into the main phone socket. This speed is stopping me from watching my demand channels with vision.

Ive had good speed in the past and been able to watch demand. The crackling has been sorted, hubs been upgraded, profile been change numerous times and the problem still occurs.

I was getting 2.5 meg with talktalk that never dropped and decided to go with bt for its vision and broadband package, where has this got me. Ringing up all the time and without tv appart from freeview.

If i wanted just freeview i would have bought a freeview box.

Tags (3)
0 Ratings
18 REPLIES 18
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 19

Re: slow broadband, arrrghhhhh

Go to solution

please can you post the adsl stats from your router may need to 'show detail' to get all stats (if hub enter 192.168.1.254 in your browser and navigate to adsl or use a-z, if netgear enter 192.168.0.1) and run btspeedtester http://speedtester.bt.com and post the results.

are you connected directly to the NTE5 master or test socket or to somewhere else? Do you have any phone extension sockets in your home?

Have you tried the quiet line test? - dial 17070 option 2 - should hear nothing - best done with a corded phone

Someone may then be able to offer help/assistance/suggestions to your problem

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 3 of 19

Go to solution

thanks i'll give them a go and keep you posted. im on the phone to bt right now and they can see im getting the problem

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 4 of 19

Go to solution

This Test comprises of two tests

1. Best Effort Test: -provides background information.

Download  Speed
871 Kbps

0 Kbps1000 Kbps
Max Achievable Speed

Download speedachieved during the test was - 871 Kbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 200-1000 Kbps.
 Additional Information:
 Your DSL Connection Rate :3648 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
 IP Profile for your line is - 1000 Kbps

2. Assured Rate Test: -provides background information.

Download Speed
301 Kbps

0 Kbps600 Kbps
Max Achievable Speed

Download speedachieved during the test was - 301 Kbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 576-600 Kbps.
 Additional Information:
 Assured Rate IP profile on your line is - 600r Kbps

tried the quiet line to and its ok, no crackling nice and quiet

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 19

Go to solution

your profile at 1000 is low for your current connection speed suggesting disconnections or resets.  has the router been disconnecting or have you been resetting in the hope of getting a better speed?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 6 of 19

Go to solution

Yeh ive reset the hub numerous amount of times in the past. I can see my profile speeds slow, bt have told me it will take 32 hours to reset and then it should be up to date. But they've filled me full of that before

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 19

Go to solution

it can take 3/5 days for your profile to rise to normal for your speed provided connected 24/7 - sometimes it can be sooner

Highlighted
Message 8 of 19

Go to solution

okay, i am on day 2 of my broadband experience. I am currently connected via wifi to my BT connection, its taken me 20 mins to do it as my current connection speed is 0.44mbps.  I am working on another machine which is connected to my company VPN via a 3G vodafone dongle, this machine is getting 0.85mbps.  Great experience! NOT.

Apparently I am in my 10 day warm up, where BT establish the speed.  Why do I have to pay for what is Dial Up while they sort themselves out?????  Bonkers.  When I have Virgin, it was on instantly and was super fast.  Come on BT SORT IT OUT 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 19

Go to solution

my broad band is on a 20 meg line but bt say i can have only 6meg with 700kbps frankly they must think im some sort of a mug i have installed networks for ages ...i have had 6 or 7 bt engineers to address who ll suprisingly say line is perfect 15 meg easy but you talk to bt technical and they say no i have had brand new phone lines installed new internal wiring at one point was intouch with the techies at highest lvl and speed went to 12 meg not for long tho went back down as fast as it went up .having been with bt since 1977 now i have had enough my conract about to expire then not only will i be transfering my broadband im going to transfer my telephone as well i have had enough of them telling me faulty pc so i bought a brand new one .then telling my router was faulty so swapped it with a friend of mine for a buissness hub still same speed issue bt sent me five new hubs cant all be faulty ::: then telling to far from the exchange i am only 2.1km from the exchange line signal loss at that distance is max 2.5 meg so either hey sort it this time or we are gone already been told by sky broaddband they can supply me with 13 meg constant as they guarentee no slow down speed during peak time and the best part of that is they are using the same equipment as bt from a bt server please help me this needs to be sorted out they have 4 days then i am gone and will not come back no matter what deal they offer i am so sick of unkept promises and blatent lies from people reading of a preset script many thanks mark

DSL Connection Details
DSL Line (Wire Pair):Line 1 (inner pair)
Protocol:G.DMT2+ Annex A
Downstream Rate:7661 kbps
Upstream Rate:875 kbps
Channel:Interleaved
Current Noise Margin:14.9 dB (Downstream) 12.3 dB (Upstream)
Current Attenuation:39.4 dB (Downstream) 21.0 dB (Upstream)
Current Output Power:20.5 dBm (Downstream) 12.4 dBm (Upstream)
DSLAM Vendor Information:Country: {0xB5} Vendor: {IFTN} Specific: {0xBE71}
PVC Info:0/38

HERE ARE THE RESULTS FROM THE BT SPEEDCHECKER

-Your broadband checker results

Broadband option

Broadband speed range

When you can get it

Action

BT Total Broadband BT Total BroadbandYou can get our fast and reliable broadband with speeds of up to 20Mb. The speed prediction we have provided is an estimate, however download speeds can vary and the actual download speed will fall between a range. This is generally within 1-2 Mb higher or lower than your estimated speed quoted.

Between 13.0Mb and 15.0Mb
(Estimated speed: 14.0Mb)

Now

Learn more

Sorry, you're not currently able to get BT Infinity. This may be because your area has not been enabled yet, or your individual line does not support super-fast broadband. Register your interest and we'll let you know if this changes.

Register Interest

BT always offers you the best speed possible on your line.The speed prediction we have given here is an estimate, however download speeds can vary and the actual download speed will fall within a range. The range is an indication of the speed that other similar lines across the UK have achieved for their broadband service; this is generally within 1-2 Mb higher or lower than your single estimated speed quoted.

The actual speed is dependent on several factors such as the product option you choose, the processing power of your computer,how many people are using your broadband connection at the same time,whether you use a wireless or cable connection,the speed of the websites that you visit and how we're managing the network. Speeds can be lower at peak times - peak times are evenings and weekends.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 19

Go to solution

welcome to the forum

this is a customer help customer forum and the only BT employess at the forum mods

As this subject is already marked solved by the origintor it would be better if you started your own subject (just copy and paste) and that way you will get more people looking as post is not marked as solved.

if you do start your on subject can you run btspeedtester and post the results please

edit

from the additional information added there is an inconsistency in that you have a attenuation of 39.4 putting line length at 2.8/2.9km from the exchange.  with that attenuation a connection speed of 9.5/10mb is expected so the figures shown on the btspeedchecker seem very high 

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/max_speed_calc.php

0 Ratings