Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 1 of 18

speed differential

Go to solution

I have a IP of 3.0 and a download speed of 2.7 , it was down to less that 0.1 a couple of weeks ago, the house ajoining mine has an IP of 7.0 and a download speed of 6.63. I can use his wireless connection on  both my laptop and desktop and achieve the download speed of over 6.0 so my equipment is capable of achieving these speeds even wireless. My router is connected to my incoming socket as is my neighbours exactly the same position in both houses, we are both within a few feet the same distance from the exchange, we are both on the same contract and paying the same money, the only difference is that my overhead line from my house goes to a different post. So it seems that there seems to be a difference in achievable speed depending on what post you use, or maybe there is some other reason for taking the same money for the same service and giving one customer more for their money than the other. I have already been in touch with BT and waited for a week for some improvement from the 0.1 speeds which went to 2.7 finally and is reasonably stable, but my speed is a lot slower than what is evidently achievable, why is my IP not set at the same as the house next door and why other that it being down to the wire to the post being not fit for purpose is the speed to my house slower that the ajoining property. I had this same issue with Talk Talk on this line previously and after weeks of hitting a brick wall I moved to BT, TT kept blaming BT and saying it was a fault on the line, my line had been ok and had never dropped below 2.0 while with Toucan but as soon as TT took over the problems started regularly down to 0.1 download , moved to BT after seeing my neighbours speed as he had just moved from TT also , my speed is a lot better and constant but still lower than the house next door. Why is there this speed differential between my house and the house next door????

0 Ratings
17 REPLIES 17
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 18

Re: speed differential

Go to solution

no to lines are the same as you have found out - if this was also a problem when on TT then this sounds like a line problem and nothing to do with the change to BT.

This is a community forum where customers help customers and only BT employees are the forum mods

in order for the forum members to help please can you post the   adsl stats  from your router may need to 'show detail' to get all stats (if hub enter 192.168.1.254 in your browser and navigate to adsl or use a-z, if netgear enter 192.168.0.1) and run btspeedtester (MAC users may have problems) bt speedtester  and post the results .

are you connected directly via a filter to the NTE5 master or test socket or to somewhere else? Is the master the only phone socket in your home?

Have you tried the quiet line test? - dial 17070 option 2 - should hear nothing - best done with a corded phone. if cordless phone you may hear a 'dull hum' which is normal

Someone may then be able to offer help/assistance/suggestions to your problem

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 3 of 18

Go to solution

I have done the quiet check and the line is quiet, theses are the stats from the speed test and from my hub I am connected to my incoming master  line socket and have one other in the house which I have disconected for the checks. I have already contacted BT and made it clear to them that I have had issues with my speed before , TT always blamed BT as it was BT who owned the exchange and lines, the speed has increased and become stable since moving to BT , it is just the desparity between my speed and my mates next door that seems to be so large and if you are paying for the same service then you should receive the same especially when you are next door to someone achieving over double your download speed.

Download speedachieved during the test was - 2.73 Mbps For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 0.6 Mbps-7.15 Mbps. Additional Information: Your DSL Connection Rate :3.42 Mbps(DOWN-STREAM), 0.45 Mbps(UP-STREAM) IP Profile for your line is - 3 Mbps

1. Product name:BT Home Hub
2. Serial number:+058720+1148014005
3. Firmware version:Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.57.1.3 (Type A) Last updated Unknown
4. Board version:BT Home Hub 3.0A
5. ADSL uptime:28 days, 23:48:52
6. Bandwidth:448 / 3424
7. Data sent/received:0.5 / 0.4
8. Broadband username:bthomehub@btbroadband.com
9. BT FON:Yes
10. Wireless network/SSID:TORNADO100
11. Wireless connections:Enabled, (802.11 b/g/n (Recommended)) 20 MHz
12. Wireless security:WPA and WPA2
13. Wireless channel:Automatic / 11
14. Firewall:Default
15. MAC Address:90:01:3b:ac:86:48
16. VPI/VCI:0 / 38
17. Line profile:Interleaved
18. Software variant:-
19. Boot loader:-
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 18

Go to solution

you need to find the adsl stats

connection speed

connection time

modulation

attenuation

noise margin

power output

and then shw detail and then include the errors

is it possible to conenct to the test socket behind the detachable bottom half of the master before posting new stats

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 5 of 18

Go to solution
 There is no test socket on my incoming master socket, it has been there for donkeys years since they changed from the old style

ADSL Line Status
Connection Information
Line state:Connected
Connection time:29 days, 00:17:13
Downstream:3.344 Mbps
Upstream:448 Kbps

ADSL Settings
VPI/VCI:0/38
Type:PPPoA
Modulation:G.992.1 Annex A
Latency type:Interleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up):15.8 dB / 25.0 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up):40.9 dB / 21.5 dB
Output power (Down/Up):19.3 dBm / 12.4 dBm
FEC Events (Down/Up):1319908320 / 3410
CRC Events (Down/Up):468952 / 3676
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote):0 / 0
HEC Events (Down/Up):2072222 / 2519
Error Seconds (Local/Remote):60669 / 4266

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 18

Go to solution

it's an older type socket have you removed the bellwire from terminal 3 in the master and extension socket as it is a known cause of noise problems 

bellwire removal

at present you are on adslmax up to 8mb and currently have a 3.3mb connection but noise margin is high at 15.8 as normal about 6.  with your attenuation I would expect about 6.5/7mb connection speed but need to lower noise margin.

after oyu have checked for the bellwire and removed it there then you can contact the mods and get your noise margin reset to 6 which should give you a connection speed about what I suggested 

contact mods

can take up to 3 working days for mods to contact you

Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 18

Go to solution
hi just to explain IP profiles
your IP profile is set by your connection speed not the other way round

this link explains about IP profiles http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/IPprofile.htm#IPprofile_v_sync
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 8 of 18

Go to solution

Thanks , I have disconnected the two bell wires in the master socket and also at the extension end, I have contacted the mods and will advise what results are achieved and when, hope this is the remedy, why do Bt not advise of this if it is a simple resolution to speed problems?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 18

Go to solution
a simple reason is all new installs by openreach do not have the bell wire fitted only older lines have it also BT do provide what they call a broadband accelerator /iplate which acts as a filter that does a similar job as removing the bell wire but is not as effective as removing the bell wire
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 18

Go to solution

if you have now made the bellwire chnages can you post the stats again for comparison to previous set before bellwire removal

0 Ratings