cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lordmerchant
Beginner
Message 1 of 7

speed increase after initial 10 days?

Have just migrated from TalkTalk, with them I got around 17mbps upload of a broadband connection. I switched to the BT 19mbps package and expected to get an approximate experience. However two days in I am lucky to reach 3mbps (usualy 2-2.5mbps). I am hearing a lot about the first ten days and services stabilising etc, however when I have switched ISP's in the past I have always experienced a subtle DECREASE in speed during this time. I am worried I'm going to have to faff on with engineers etc. Has anyone experience of their connection increasing with the first 10 days?

Cheers,

Rob

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: speed increase after initial 10 days?

Can you post stats from your router

can you enter your phone number and post results. Remember delete your number https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/adsl.htm

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
lordmerchant
Beginner
Message 3 of 7

Here are the results.
Untitled.png

They do show that even with an impacted line 15mbps or so should be attainable, which i had literally 3 days ago with TalkTalk,

0 Ratings
iniltous
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 7

Presumably you were with TT on one of their fibre to the cabinet packages (VDSL) , and you have moved to an equivalent ( more or less ) BT Infinity FTTC VDSL package and not regular upto 17Mb ADSL BT Broadband.
Your router stats would be useful in confirming this, but if you have purchased and been placed on a BT FTTC package , given that both TT and BT will connect you to the same Openreach FTTC cabinet , then the speed should be similar, given the distance you are from the FTTC cab, you were never going to get the 38Mb Max from TT  lower tier FTTC or the 52Mb from BT Infinity 1

0 Ratings
lordmerchant
Beginner
Message 5 of 7

I was on a non-fibre talktalk package and moved to a non-fibre BT package. I never expected anything approaching 38mb/sec just a similar experience to talktalk (around the 15-18mbps range.

0 Ratings
iniltous
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 7

The speed estimator for ADSL for your address shows upto 5.5Mb/s that's is the technology you have purchased, ( you point to VDSL figures, VDSL is FTTC ) ...no where near 17Mb, and although that's BT WBC , it is ADSL2+ , same as what TT would have supplied on their regular (non fibre) broadband.

Have you got an old speed test from when you were on TT ?, if you were really getting 17Mb from TT on ADSL , the estimator would have to be incorrect, and you would live really very close to the exchange , do you know roughly how far from the exchange you are  ?

If you were getting around 17Mb from TT and the speed estimator is anywhere near accurate, then you were on TT  'fibre' , not ADSL  and if that's the case you have ( inadvertently ) downgraded yourself, by moving from TT FTTC to BT ADSL, but posting the router stats would help show what you are on now , and what the best you can expect, 

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 7

just post stats from your hub  if hh6 then advanced settings then technical log information  and if hh5 then troubleshooting then helpdesk  that will make things clearer

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings