cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 11 of 24

Re: speed very slow for last 3 days or so.....121kbps at the moment with no real explanation

the router at the top of the adsl stats shows uptime which is how long you have been connected to the internet not how long the router has been on.

If you are not comfortable with disconnecting the bellwire then don't

more often the connection improves when connecting to the master socket  this post is example  http://community.bt.com/t5/BB-Speed-Connection-Issues/Broadband-speed-extremely-bad/td-p/149191

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
unhappymissy
Aspiring Contributor
Message 12 of 24

Re: speed very slow for last 3 days or so.....121kbps at the moment with no real explanation

hi again,

i just spoke with my partner who says we tried moving it to the master socket previously once before when we had an issue with the broadband and it made no difference.  The wiring is the same as it has been for 3 years, nothing has changed.

He also says that every time we have a problem with the internet, we always have to go through the needless task of checking all the wires etc, it then ends up with BT having to reset the line.  Once it's reset, all the problems go away.

He has also just gone along his father who is connected to the same exchange and their internet is also going very slow at the moment.

I will not be moving my computer and router as its not convenient for us, i am tho very concerned about this "disconnection" that keeps happening, is this the reason my speed has dropped....should we not be looking at why this is happening??

Is it possible for you to simply reset the line as per normal fix? Smiley Sad

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 13 of 24

I do not work for BT just a consumer like yourself.  The only BT employees are the forum mods.

Normally disconnection like you describe are due to noise on your line.  There are many reason for the noise and that is why when you phone the helpline they normally ask you to connect to the test socket if possible as this eliminates any noise problems caused by your internal extension wiring.  yocku can also check this post

http://community.bt.com/t5/BB-in-Home/Poor-Broadband-speed/m-p/14217#M8397

But any changes are up to you.

you can check the exchange here  http://usertools.plus.net/exchanges/mso.php

http://usertools.plus.net/exchanges/?

http://btbusiness.custhelp.com/app/service_status

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
unhappymissy
Aspiring Contributor
Message 14 of 24

does this mean i have to unplug my PC and router, cart it all down stairs, plug it all back in and wait?

and then what happens if there is no difference??

BT twice checked my line yesterday, they mentioned no interference at all, and i can hear nothing when i dailed the number in a few posts above...

the last thing i really want to do is disconnect my router as i fear i'll be back at stage one again, waiting for the line to stabilise etc...??

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 15 of 24

that's ok  just leave the router connected where it is and wait and see if it improves..  you can always try something else if leaving it alone does nothing to improve your speed 

0 Ratings
unhappymissy
Aspiring Contributor
Message 16 of 24

thanks for the advice and link anyway:) i'm learning a lot on this forum, and i'm looking very much forward to this;

http://www.ispreview.co.uk/story/2010/12/22/eu-green-lights-shetland-islands-uk-fibre-optic-broadban...

at the moment our good speeds of 1.5mb seem very lame compared to the rest of the UK...

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 17 of 24

if you read some of the forum posts you will see many with speeds lower than you

0 Ratings
Highlighted
unhappymissy
Aspiring Contributor
Message 18 of 24

just curious, but can anyone explain what this means on my dsl info: (i posted earlier)

Loss of Signal (Local/Remote):70 / 0

been looking at other posters and my result of 70/0 looks quite odd compared to other folks?most of which just say 0/0

anyone offer any explanation of what this means?

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 19 of 24

this will help  http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/linestats_errors.htm

0 Ratings
unhappymissy
Aspiring Contributor
Message 20 of 24

update.....speed is lower then 100kbps today, but as of yesterday the connection is poor too, with most of last night being off, and when on only for a minute before going off again.

phoned BT again...asked for an engineer, and one is booked for tuesday afternoon.

spoke to my neighbours who are all saying the same as my thread, but unlike me they dont phone BT....which is very frustrating:(....but i completely understand their reasons....as you never seem to get anywhere anyway??

i dont hold out much hope for tuesday..but thought i would update this thread anyway....

if anyones else is having this problem on dailing code 01595 please report it

0 Ratings