cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 8

speedtest.net and BTW speedtester getting speed wrong?

What would cause both of these to get my speed wrong? Speedtest.net gets it wrong by 10mbps, and BTW by about 35mbps. BTW says I get 35 and Speedtest.net says I get 60, I've tested them both at different times in the day, morning, afternoon and after midnight. I know I'm getting higher because through newsgroups I'm downloading at around 8.5 - 9 MB/s which would be more like 68 - 72mbps and the IP profile on my account is 77.44mbps.

As a side note is there a way to detect how many metres the cabinet is away? Because like I said I'm getting close to 70mbps, was estimated 55mbps and the cabinet (from what I can tell) is about 500m away

One final note, loving infinity thus far, going from 4mbps to 70mbps is ecstatic. 

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 8

Re: speedtest.net and BTW speedtester getting speed wrong?

use google earth/maps--ruler and draw  line from property to cabinet along the route of cable----if you have google maps

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Guru
Message 3 of 8

Speedtests can underestimate download speed if you have a regular upload going on (eg a backup).   Also, of course if there is any other broadband activity from another machine on your local network.  Getting it wrong by 10Mbps in 70 is not unusual, but consistently getting only 50% from the BTW test is.

Have you tried http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest.html?  I haven't found much difference in download tests, but it is consistently higher (which is correct) in upload tests.

I assume these tests are wired?  That said, I don't see how wireless would explain the difference between the speedtests and newsgroup speeds.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 8

Ah, the think broadband one was much more accurate! Yes, this is the only computer connected to internet atm. and yes it is wired. There's been no upload going on, dropbox is fully uploaded...

The thinkbroadband one shows me at 72.8mbps with 74.4mbps burst download speed. In fact, here it is below:

Speedtest.net done immediately afterwards:

Edit: as a further note, this was the result from speedtest.net about 10 mins after it was up and running (2 days ago), this was done wirelessly though:

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Guru
Message 5 of 8

It's quite common for initial speeds to be high and then drop a bit. It starts out unmanaged while DLM sees what speed the line can manage while keeping a stable connection; and then lowers the speed to that value.

Monitor it over the first couple of weeks, as I am sure you will. Also, it is worth disconnecting and reconnecting the HomeHub router (NOT the modem) every day or so during this period. DLM may adjust your sync speed, and that will ensure you profile is updated to match.
0 Ratings
Expert
Message 6 of 8

I thought I had issues with my speeds

was doing the test with Aurora Browser. was getting between 35 and 65 mb  .

then tried with the IE10 now my results are back up again showing download 69mb with upload of 18mb

so it was the browser that was giving Naf results.

new test now

IE10 D/l 69.23 u/l 15.02 ping 36.52

Aurora d/l 52.71 u/l 14.93 ping 35.00

so why diff results given back

both done within 2 mins

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Guru
Message 7 of 8

It may have been the browser, or it may well be a browser plugin. People tend to have more plugins in their standard browser.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 8

Funny you should say that, testing on IE10 garners the best results in Speedtest.net:

But BTW speed tester is still grossly inaccurate showing 35mbps. 

0 Ratings