cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gaz0r
Contributor
Message 1 of 9

still waiting for BT infinity.. end of March 2014

hi there, the area for my parents house kept getting put back every 3 months and now its been sat at end of March 2014 for around 8 months. I have seen no BT engineers in the area and seeing as the end of March 2014 is less than 2 weeks away do you recon it will be done and sorted within that time?

Just things are not looking promising at all, what do you recon ?

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
dfenceman
Expert
Message 2 of 9

Re: still waiting for BT infinity.. end of March 2014

Try entering your postcode ONLY on the ADDRESS version of https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html.  If a DSLAM FTTC cabinet is installed or in the process of being installed in that postcode area then the DSLAM cabinet appears on the list of addresses within that postcode area.

Best regards,
dfenceman
0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 9

Up until recently you could email Openreach and ask when your cabinet was likely to be upgraded however Openreach are no longer giving out that information, instead they are replying:-

Thank you for your contact to us. Please note that we will not be responding to you by email but, would like to point you to the Openreach Superfast Fibre website and the FAQ section that will provide answers to the most commonly asked questions. It will also provide links to those service providers that sell fibre broadband at the moment so you can check if your particular line is enabled.

http://www.superfast-openreach.co.uk/where-and-when/

So in short, you just need to keep checking to see if your cabinet has been up graded.

If you use this checker it will tell what cabinet you are on and what services it can receive

http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

0 Ratings
gaz0r
Contributor
Message 4 of 9

Just been put back now until July 2014 - December 2014

its a joke! nearly everywhere in my town has it!

0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 9

There are many reasons for cabinet activation being delayed blocked cable ducts and power installation are the major delays as they can need road and pavement closure licences applied for to local councils
0 Ratings
threetowner
Beginner
Message 6 of 9

I have the same problem ,showing Jul-dec 2014, and i got the same stock answer from BT and the openreach site shows the same technical problems, but after recently speaking to an openreach engineer working on the cabinet, i got a reason that neither BT or openreach i think are willing to put on their websites...."no demand"...unfortunately theres noway to verify this or to check with either company what the demand would have to be to enable a cabinet. I have another property about 1.5miles away which has been enabled , think its a post code lottery being operated

0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 9

financial viability is also a reason as it cost in the area of 50k to install and run the cabinet with ongoing running costs for mains power so Openreach have to see a demand before the will install
0 Ratings
threetowner
Beginner
Message 8 of 9

Yes i agree re the recoup of costs. but my point is openreach should be upfront and say now way will this cabinet be enabled as there is no demand and the catchment area of this cabinet will never provide the demand that we require, rather than technical issues,which leads people into believing that infinity will be available in the future when as far as openreach are concerned theyy know it will never be

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 9

Just because it is not commercially viable at the moment does not mean that Openreach won't install a cabinet later. They could getting funding through government funding if it becomes available for your area. Check with your local council about that.

0 Ratings