Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
koni
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 10

street cabinets

Just a quicky,

is there a way to find out what cabinet iam connected to ? the reason i ask is i want to keep an eye out for when / if the infinity cabinet is installed.

May seem like a daft question, sorry.

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
NEWFS
Message 2 of 10

Re: street cabinets

Its not just the street cabinet.  If your home is more than 300 metres from the cabinet,  you still may not be able to get Infinity.  Depends on distance and quality of the remaining copper cable link

Guru
Message 3 of 10

Not really ...

But normally you would be connected to the nearest grubby green roadside cab to your house ...

But if you live in a highly populated area ... there could be a few, and on different routes.

Infinity cabs are generally mounted adjacent to 20/21CN roadside cabinets ... to allow access to nodes.

But not all lines are given access, depending on suitability.

BT's Infinity line checker would tell you that, once the area has been cleared for orders.

koni
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 10

Thanks for the replies, i have several cabinets around me, and i live in a built up area so i have no idea which one services who, and how many there really are around me.

Iam around 3.5k from the exchange if i follow the roads, and about 2.7 as the crow flies so iam not directly connected.

my exchange in the post code checker says i can have FTTC on the phone number check it says i cant, my exchange is listed for fttc in december 2010 so iam guessing this allows BT the time to sort the street cabs out ?

0 Ratings
Guru
Message 5 of 10

By all means be optimistic .....

But it's not a deffo by the sounds of it ...

I'd put it at 50/50 ... until you hear better, and the phone line checker says yes.

You wouldn't be the first to be disappointed ...  Smiley Sad

0 Ratings
strontium90
Expert
Message 6 of 10

Does anyone know the maximum distance from the new infinity cabinet after which it won't be possible?...mine is due to be upgraded iminently...

0 Ratings
dersam
Contributor
Message 7 of 10

The theoretical limit is 1,200m for the origianl VSDSL standards but I'm not sure what the later ITU standard can cope with.

It's definately NOT 300m as someone suggested above as that's the sweet spot for VSDSL (any less and it gets slower, and any more it gets slower - refer to VDSL2; ITU-T G.993.2 standards which I think BT are using.

Most people will be within 1km of their street cab, or connected direct to the exchange (so you cant get ftcc).

Hope that helps.

0 Ratings
strontium90
Expert
Message 8 of 10

Thanks...

0 Ratings
Guru
Message 9 of 10

And to add to dersam's useful post ...

Apparently 11% of telephones lines are directly exchange connected ...

So no FTTC for them ...  big number.

Fallback is that these 11% are close enough to dslams/msans to benefit greatly from 21CN,  rather than Infinity

fibre broadband.

0 Ratings
koni
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 10

I hear what your saying about the dissapointment, i have gone from a 20 mb virgin connection at my old house 2.5 years ago, to a pittyful 2 mb in a new build house a few miles from where i used to live.

I have heard rumors that virgin will be installed by end of august 2011 in my estate, it is only a rumor, but a good one !!

thanks again for the replies guys

0 Ratings