cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hifistud
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 6

sub-zero temeratures and download speed falling

I've already got @btcare involved with this, but want to pick the expert brains. Here arenthe symptoms...

Normal download speed is around 63megs, upload 16 or so. As the temperature outside drops, so the download speed drops - this is from 1 degree C downover. Above that, all is good. At around -4 all download bandwidth ceases, yet upload stays the same right until the wholesale speed tester will not connect.

I've already had a lift and shift, new modem, new hub and an IP profile rset, and, since all that was done, we have had no freezing nights - but last night, it all started again.

Thoughts? Seems to me that there may well be some moisture condensing in a fibre joint somewhere... don't see it being the copper...

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Ratty2012
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 6

Re: sub-aero temeratures and download speed falling

@hifistud wrote:

@I've already got @btcare involved with this, but want to pick the expert brains. Here arenthe symptoms...

Normal download speed is around 63megs, upload 16 or so. As the temperature outside drops, so the download speed drops - this is from 1 degree C downover. Above that, all is good. At around -4 all download bandwidth ceases, yet upload stays the same right until the wholesale speed tester will not connect.

I've already had a lift and shift, new modem, new hub and an IP profile rset, and, since all that was done, we have had no freezing nights - but last night, it all started again.

Thoughts? Seems to me that there may well be some moisture condensing in a fibre joint somewhere... don't see it being the copper...

Are the cables from the cabinet to your home overhead cables or underground ones?

0 Ratings
hifistud
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 6

underground ducted, apparently.

Seems that this is a good thing for future fibre blowage...

0 Ratings
Ratty2012
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 6

@hifistud wrote:

underground ducted, apparently.

Seems that this is a good thing for future fibre blowage...

Is there anyone else that is connected to your cabinet also having a problem? If not then it might indicate that it's just the copper that is the problem.

0 Ratings
hifistud
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 6

I have no way of knowing. Engineer due this morning. As a matter of interest, yesterday saw the connection fail entirely with temperatures of -6 and lower. Not good.

0 Ratings
hifistud
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 6

further to all of this. Engineer came, saw, and did even mor fixes in terms of joints, a new pair back to the cab and so on. While he was here, the homehub failed. This more reported back, and a new HH3 was ordered. For completeness, said HH3 arrived here Tuesday of this week (ordered by BT on Friday). had I been daft enough to wait, I would have had zero internet for  a week, but my daughter, grand lass that she is, ordered another router (a TPLink jobby) around an hour after BTCare had ordered the HH3. That arrived at 08:30 Sat morning from Amazon. 

Make of that what you will - the BTCare folks have been brilliant, but it seems they're not very well backed up by the rest of the organisation. Anyway, it's forecast to be well below freezing again today, so we shall see whether the router was at fault later.

0 Ratings