cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Barney300
Contributor
Message 1 of 6

suspended email address

First of all, many thanks to PaddyB for all the recent help with an email problem and slow connection. These problems now appear to have been solved (subject to a follow-up call next week).

I now have an irritation rather than a problem.

Quite a long time ago I created a sub-email for a friend who doesn't have a computer of his own. This address was very seldom used, and was suspended by BT, but it still shows in my list of addresses.

This one address is currently unusable, but I can't find how to either re-activate it or delete it entirely. I tried clicking on the forgotten password link and ended up changing my main BT-ID password instead. I've changed it back, but I'm stuck with this unusable address.

My friend was happy for me to manage the address on his behalf, but it's been so long now that I've forgotten the password. I could create a new sub-account for his (very) occasional use, perhaps sending a "dummy" message from time to time to keep it active, but it would be more convenient to re-activate the existing (suspended) one if that's possible.

If not, I'd just like to remove it from the list. The message shown says it was last used on February 15th 2017 and "will be" permanently deleted on July 16th 2017 unless I reactivate it "in next days" (nice grammar!). There's also a link marked "+Add to BT ID" which hasn't helped.

As I've said, this is more an irritation than anything as I haven't used all my sub-accounts, but I'd like to either re-activate it or delete it if I could find out how, but the help pages aren't very helpful, and I'd rather not get involved in a circular discussion with someone who ends up telling me he or she doesn't know any more than I do, so after my recent positive experiences on the forum, this seems the best place to ask.
0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
JohnC2
Message 2 of 6

Re: suspended email address

Hi @Barney300 As Paddy has a case still open for you about email I'll ask him to check on this when he is back in the office tomorrow. 

Cheers

John

0 Ratings
Andy_N
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 6

@Barney300 wrote:

My friend was happy for me to manage the address on his behalf, but it's been so long now that I've forgotten the password. I could create a new sub-account for his (very) occasional use, perhaps sending a "dummy" message from time to time to keep it active, but it would be more convenient to re-activate the existing (suspended) one if that's possible.

Hi.

May I suggest you create a Gmail address for your friend. That way it won't be tied to your account or BTnternet as your ISP if you change.

To keep the gmail (and btinternet) account active - just login to them at least every month. With something like Thunderbird, you can check all your accounts (including his) at the same time without remembering to login every so often.

0 Ratings
Barney300
Contributor
Message 4 of 6

Thanks for that JohnC2. It's probably easier for someone who already has my details.

Please note though that I'll be difficult to get hold of until about next Wednesday. So many claims on my time just lately, but at least it's better than being ignored.

Btw, has anyone else noticed Firefox blocking most of the content on BT's site? The top and bottom thirds of each page are plain grey, with the small amount of content across the middle being unusable.

No action needed. It's obviously a Firefox issue. I thought it was worth mentioning though in case anyone was under the impression that the site itself was playing up. I'm using Chromium now for all things BT, and everything seems to be working properly.
0 Ratings
Barney300
Contributor
Message 5 of 6

Thanks for your suggestion, Andy_N, but it's not a serious problem, more an irritation that his address is showing, but not usable. I could let him use a "spare" address I've created (or create a new one for him), but I like to keep things tidy.

A couple of weeks ago I was getting pretty frustrated with BT, but Paddy has been so helpful that I'm no longer thinking of switching ISPs.

I had to have a Gmail account when I joined the (Linux) Ubuntu forum a few years ago, but after a while I started getting messages about my Gmail password not being recognised or something like that. Whatever it was, I was no longer able to use the account, so deleted it from Thunderbird.

Thanks again for your input though. It's taking a while to find my way round the forum, but I've found the people helpful.
0 Ratings
Barney300
Contributor
Message 6 of 6

Update. I've found the password for the suspended sub-account and clicked on "Add to BT ID" (or whatever the exact message said), entered the correct password and got a message saying the account couldn't be claimed "because of an error".
Now when I go to the page showing my e-mail addresses, the suspended message still shows, but the "Add to BT ID" message has gone. The entire second part of the panel is blank.

I'd like to revive this address, but if that's not possible, I'd rather delete it than have an unusable address still showing.
Even with this one showing, I've still only used 5 of my 11 potential addresses, so it's an irritation rather than a problem.
0 Ratings