cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 1 of 12

switching of my bt homehub4

Go to solution

i have been searching for the answer to this very simple question for over a fortnight now and still i cant get a definative answer to it.. first of i dont like leaving things pluged in and on standby overnight...

ok here go's, i think it is best to leave on the openreach modem 24/7, but when the hub is talked about one will say to leave it on with the modem, and then someone else says you can turn it of no bother even before the 10 day thingy is up, then i find another saying that they have been switching them both off overnight since the 10 days were over.. or that they have allways switched of the hub since it was installed and everything is going fine!!!

is the answer, that no one knows because bt dont want us to know???

you would think that someone somewhere would be able to say for deffinate  if one of them, both of them, or none of them, could be switched of overnight or not, and the reason why it's ok or not ok...

so is that person out there...hello....help.....please....

sorry back again,,you would think that in this day and age that you could have a product with an on and of switch that one could use without throwing the thing into overdrive resulting in permanant fits and what have you...i think in going forward we are regressing eh what...

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 12

Re: switching of my bt homehub4

Go to solution
the modem should be left on 24/7 disconnections and reconnection's can cause the DLM to think the line is unstable and suffering from line noise reducing the sync speed the line is monitored 24/7 not just the first ten days
it is reccomended that both the hub and modem are left powered up 24/7 to minimise the risk of problems
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 12

Go to solution

I don't believe there is a definite yes or no answer.  It depends.

I have one of the old silver BT Vision boxes.  It gets its EPG updates from BT at night.  It also stores series recording information on BT's servers, not on the box itself.  So if I turn my Hub off overnight, then the Vision box may not work properly - the EPG may be out of date and recordings may not be made.

The new black boxes don't need the internet connection for the EPG and don't need BT's servers for series record.  But they can watch TV programmes streamed over Infinity.  So if the Hub is off, it could cause unexpected errors when watching TV.

Even if you don't have BT Vision, other gadgets may want to use the WiFi for automatic updates.

In the end, BT's simple advice is that broadband is meant to be "always on", so it's best to just leave it on.

The World won't come to an end if you do turn off your Hub overnight.  And since it's the modem that affects the speed on Infinity, not the Hub, it won't even affect your speed.

But I wouldn't stick my neck out and tell you to turn it off without doing a full itemised list of all the internet-connected gadgets in your home, and who uses them, and when, and whether or not those gadgets will function properly if the internet connection is off.

Highlighted
Message 4 of 12

Go to solution

thanks for the quick reply john46

so does everyone agree???

right so weather i like it or not i have to leave them both on 24/7? you say if i switch of the modem it  can cause the DLM to think the line is unstable and suffering from line noise reducing the sync speed, so even if i told them that everything was fine it was only me switching of the modem, and not to adjust anything they would still make my speeds lower??

also i was wondering would bt like to make a small contrabution to my lecky bill at the end of the year, because of their inabillity to give me a modem and hub that can be switched of overnight...

and again could bt give me an assurence in writing that these appliance's would never have a fault that could cause a fire in my home,, like an electrical fault did in a friends house a few years back..

one of the reasons i have always switched of all plug's at night..

and now i am reading on M.S.E forums that its definitely ok to switch off my hub but leave the modem on..

so i think the answer is no one knows, so do whatever turns you on, or off as the case may be..

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 5 of 12

Go to solution
does anyone know how much electric these two unswitchoffable things would use in a year, so that i can bill bt...; ))
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 12

Go to solution

The DLM is an automatic process and can't be switched off and on at your request. Don't know about the modem but the Homhub uses about £10 of electric a year if left on 24/7. You'll never get an assurance from any electrical device maker that it would never have an electrical fault that would cause a fire. Do you switch off your fridge and freezer at night? They could just as easily cause a fire and probably have caused more fires than a Homehub or modem.

Highlighted
Sage
Message 7 of 12

Go to solution

As DLM manages the connection between DSLAM and modem it is perfectly safe to turn off the HH.

No ifs or buts just the straight answer you wanted.

Highlighted
Message 8 of 12

Go to solution

Good point mate but my fridge/freezer, cooker, washing machine, microwave etc are not plugged into a socket, they are wired to a fused switch. So any fault blows the individual fuse, so no problem

but its  different with a item plugged into a wall socket even thou it may blow the fuse in the plug but because of the heat generated could cause a fire in the component or plug..

And on the double wall socket in the room where I have my computer a lot of stuff is plugged into those sockets, now before I got the hub and modem I had the computer, the monitor, speakers,an external HD, a printer, a scanner, a table lamp, and a stereo system. And now I got two more and I have to leave them on all the time...i don't think so..

I will put the modem on one socket and maybe keep it on, and the rest on an extension cable on the other that I switch of at night, because I'm not prepared to have me and her indoors barbecued overnight because bt cant produce a hub and modem that can be turned off..

I think bt should be paying us for providing all the free hotspots that everyone uses for free, and that's the reason that they want us to keep on our hubs and modems, because if we switch of our hubs we switch of a BT wifi hot spot...so everybody out there all join me in turning of your homehubs untill we get some payment for the service we are providing for BT.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 9 of 12

Go to solution
good man pippincp..i will now mark this as Accepted Solution...
happy days
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Sage
Message 10 of 12

Go to solution

You're welcome.Smiley Wink

0 Ratings