cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
murky23
Beginner
Message 1 of 13

syncing email across devices

I am trying to sync my BTYahoo email account across my iMac, iPad & iPhone so that a message sent from one device appears as sent in all devices and a message deleted on one device is deleted on all devices.

All my email history is in my @btopenworld.com account and up until now I have used pop3 to access my email.  I have tried to set up each device using my @btinternet.com address so that it uses IMAP to enable synchronisation across all devices.  Is this the right thing to do?

One problem I seem to have is that I lose all my Sent and Inbox history (btopenworld).  Is there a way of keeping this history?

Has anyone had any success syncing across Apple devices?  If so, how did you do it?

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 13

Re: syncing email across devices

Yes, you have to use IMAP on all devices to enable synchronisation.

An IMAP e-mail client should allow you to keep local copies of all folders on your computer, provided you enable folder synch.

See Thunderbird setup for BT Yahoo e-mail  for an example.

0 Ratings
Sarahg
Beginner
Message 3 of 13

No!  I have exactly the same problem which has only started rearing its head in the few weeks.  I copy some text from a blog by another bt account holder on the apple support forum to highlight the issue which is exactly the same process I have been through:

"I have had three sessions on line with BT Yahoo trying to sort out thi problem.    We have a PC, MacBook Pro, i-Phone and i-Pad each using btinternet e-mail.    The mobile devices work fine but both the PC and MacBook have recently been asking for a password to get mail which is then rejected.   Web mail at BTYahoo works fine and always accepts the same password  that is rejected on the  PC and MacBook.

I telephoned their help line and allowed Yahoo to get onto my PC remotely. They went about deleting and then reinserting all my settings without making any actual changes.   At the end of this everything worked fine for a few hours on all devices but then it was back to the password problem on the PC and MacBook.

On the second occasion the person at Yahoo suggested that it was the fault of my PC as everythoing was fine their end and in the settings.    I said that I did not believe this because the same problem existed on my Mac but was corrected at the same time during the session when they controlled my PC.  (I was never able to get the BT software to download to allow a session on the MacBook).  How could making changes to setting on my PC make the Mac start working?    It could only be reinserting my details at the Yahoo end that made the difference to both systems, it seemed to me.

On my third session with the kind, quiet talking, patient people in Delhi, they did the same process to get everything to work but when I got the 'you have an old PC line again' I said that I was not at all happy with this answer and was put onto the next level up of assistance.    I was then told that Yahoo had improved the security of their servers to stop more than one device accessing e-mail from Yahoo at any one time.     He said that the main issue was that my smart phone (and wife's i-pad)  needed to be turned off when I turned on either Outlook or Mac Mail so that only one device would be accessing Yahoo at a line.   He said that if a second device tried to access my e-mail account  it would be blocked out for 12 hours!" [thanks to the author]

It seems that this is a BT mail server issue - the server cannot deal with more than one device at any one moment - extremely frustrating for those of us that use a smart phone, remain logged in on an office computer and work during the day on a laptop.  This cannot be the case - no other mail providers seem to be experiencing the same problem.  I am reluctant to lose my bt mail account as I have had it for 10 years or more, but I am also not prepared to use the Yahoo Mail online service as my main client.  I recently stopped using the BB as the service was so poor in our rural area so I thought that this may be the problem, but having upgraded my mail account to "premium", it turns out not to be the case.

Is it just a Mac/BT problem do you think???

It is the single most frustrating issue I have encountered this year and no-one seems to have an answer.

Please, can anyone help?

0 Ratings
RG01
Contributor
Message 4 of 13

There are two separate issues here.

murky - your answer is to use IMAP as suggested by Keith. It will do exactly as you wish.

sarah - you have the same problem as many other users. Welcome to the club!

Read the thread just below "email password rejection"

0 Ratings
Sarahg
Beginner
Message 5 of 13

thanks RG01, I hadn't realised it was such a widespread issue - I'm stunned that there has been no BT response on this....
0 Ratings
Fionaw
Beginner
Message 6 of 13

I am so depressed by this email thread. I have had the same problem for the last 4 months or so and having been fed up with BT changed to Talk Talk. Unfortunately, there were complications with email there too, so I went back to BT to use their email to go using apple mail. All was fine for about an hour and then the password problems occurred again.

Strangely, my husband who has a sub-account runnng off my main account still gets his emails through apple mail no problem, while I can't get any of mine! The difference might be that he doesn't have any other devices set up that synch with his email account? Will set up a separate thread as suggested elsewhere and see what happens. 

Good luck to Sarah and all others with similar problems.

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 13

Just change your setting to use IMAP, as suggested, that does not suffer from the same problem.

0 Ratings
RG01
Contributor
Message 8 of 13

That's true, IMAP doesn't suffer from the password failure.

But for me, IMAP has a problem that gives a 'premature timeout' message. This happens on either Windows or Android and like the POP issue it is irregular and unpredictable.  

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 13

@RG01 wrote:

That's true, IMAP doesn't suffer from the password failure.

But for me, IMAP has a problem that gives a 'premature timeout' message. This happens on either Windows or Android and like the POP issue it is irregular and unpredictable.  

I use IMAP for email.  I occasionally get the time out message you mention above using a client for BT mail [Thunderbird]. Second try usually rights the issue.

I've never had a time-out message on the android platform though.Smiley Surprised

Could you describe this a bit more, which device and version of android.  What incoming/ougoing settings are you using?  Are you using the same setting on all devices?

AQ.
"Welcome to Royston Vasey - You'll never leave."

0 Ratings
RG01
Contributor
Message 10 of 13

Allan,

I'm using a Samsung Galaxy S2 with its native Android email client. This happened with the original Android 2.3.5 and now with the new 4.0.3.

It doesn't give an error message, but just hangs for a second or two and then drops out without retrieving the waiting emails. It's not a network problem as it happens both on the 3G and on my home WiFi.    

0 Ratings