cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nmj37
Beginner
Message 1 of 12

terminating BT phone/broadband wire outside of house

The white BT line inside my property has been severed thanks to a clumbsy carpenter. It provided phone line and BT infinity broadband. I am now left with having to replace the wire that appears out of a tube in my grass, up the wall and into the house all the way to the BT box on the wall in living room.

Outside the house the wire terminates in a small grey BT box on the house wall and then runs from there in to the house. I have taken the cover off this box outside to find that the only wires in use are BLUE. My problem appears to be that inside this box the blue wires are sealed/connected inside some form of transparent gel type/moulded connector and I dont know what this is or what it does, or whether it can be replaced easily. The wires do not simply attach to something that can be unscrewed or clipped in to.

Does anyone know what it is or whether it is just to keep the wires dry or does it do something else to the signal etc?!?

I have no problem connecting my new wire inside the BT box INSIDE the house, running it nearly out of the house through the brickwork - just a problem connecting it outside.

Hope this is a simple case of snipping existing wires and purchasing something (Maplin maybe?) that will allow me to reconnect the new BLUE wires inside and ensuring they are waterproof and connected adequitely.

Hope I have given enough information...

Many thanks

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 12

Re: terminating BT phone/broadband wire outside of house

That is the property of Openreach, and you are not allowed to touch it.

You can report the problem here.

Report damaged or dangerous Openreach network

0 Ratings
nmj37
Beginner
Message 3 of 12

thanks for the info, I have logged a fault with BT who will arrange an engineer.

However, are you able to shed any light on the conenction I mention in my original post? What is this moulded piece that connects the 2 wires? Is it simply a waterproof connector or does it do something additonal to joining the wires?

Regards & Thanks

Nathan

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 12

@nmj37 wrote:

thanks for the info, I have logged a fault with BT who will arrange an engineer.

I hope that your carpenter is insured, otherwise you will end up having to pay the repair bill, which is likely to be about £130, provided that there is no other damage.

Different types of terminations are used, so I cannot really comment on your installation.

0 Ratings
nmj37
Beginner
Message 5 of 12

if i was to provide a link to a photo, do you think you'd be able to comment?

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 12

@nmj37 wrote:

if i was to provide a link to a photo, do you think you'd be able to comment?

Not really, as its a long time since I worked on that part of the network. I have been retired over two years, and did not work on domestic customer lines, only business.

Just leave it to the Openreach Field Tecnician to make sure everthing is properly terminated an waterproof.

They will repair the cable as far as the master socket, and may have to run a new cable into it, if its been damaged elsewhere.

Anything after the master socket is your responsibility.

0 Ratings
nmj37
Beginner
Message 7 of 12

ok thanks 😞

But in a "typical scenario" though, when a BT wire terminates at the box outside the house surely it is just a simple connection to then allow the wire to run in to the house and nothing else other than a connection point - correct?

Nothing else would be done in that little connection between the 2 blue wires that allow it to extend in to the property...?!?!

Is there no one else who can confirm this please?!

Thanks

0 Ratings
brazenscroll
Contributor
Message 8 of 12

The two connectors are exactly that. Just gel filled crimp connectors. When the house / property is built, Openreach come along and lay a cable to the property. As the property is not finished at the time, they leave a coil of cable ready to connect when the property is ready.....Building is ready (on the outside) so along come Openreach, finish installing the cable up to the house, and terminate it on the outside in a small box. Then they go away until the inside is finished. (Still with me?) THEN they come back again, fit the master socket inside, run the cable back to the outside CP (Connection Point) strip the wires and crimp together using the Grey/blue connectors, refit the cover and you are ready to go.

Everything up to the socket is the property of BT and in theory you are not allowed to touch it. But as it has been damaged by your carpenter, and it is inside the property you will get a bill for £130. It is difficult to get the cable yourself as it should be a robust hard insulated telecomm cable, 4 wire BT colour coded specifically for landline installations.

Sorry, but I would let Openreach do their thing, and ask your carpenter for a refund.......

nmj37
Beginner
Message 9 of 12

ok great, just as I thought.. many thanks to all who took time to reply!
Have a good Xmas!!
Thanks
Nathan

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 12

Most tradespeople should have insurance for this type of thing.

0 Ratings