cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Alfshuman
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 10

terrible customer service - doesn't anyone care?

I have Option 3 broadband and Anytime talk on my landline, but I also paid for anytime on my hub phone. On 29th July, having reviewed account charges I decided that as I rarely use the internet/hub phone for outgoing calls, it would be sensible to cancel the BB Talk Anytime Plan on this phoneline, provided that I could still receive calls any time and make calls at the weekend and after 6.00p.m. I also wanted to ask about upgrading to a newer generation hub as the speed and particularly wireless connectivity we are currently experiencing is getting noticeably much worse.

Call1: Having struggled to find a phone number, (BT really don't want to have to ACTUALLY TALK TO CUSTOMERS), I eventaully managed to track one down for Customer Services, discussed other minor changes to my account and asked about BB Talk Anytime on the hub phone and having the new hub. I was put through to a call centre in India and specifically explained that I wanted to cancel BB Talk Anytime on the internet phone, provided I could still receive and make calls as above. I was reassured that this would be fine if I cancelled the Anytime Plan. At the same time I explained that I have problems with my broadband service and enquired about the new generation 3.0 Hub to replace my 2.0 hub. I was told that because I am a current BT Customer this would cost me £49 (?) rather than the full price. There was NO indication that there might be a problem with the hub phone if I had the new hub.

Within an hour I received an email from BT to confirm that the hub (internet) phone had been cancelled and having checked the phone line found that I had been disconnected.

Call 2: I immediately phoned BT Customer Services again who confirmed that the line had been cancelled and was told that this was probably an error when the Anytime Plan was cancelled. She tried to resolve it whilst on the phone but seemed to be having trouble, so she said she would get back to me within 15 minutes to confirm what had happened and how long it would take to get the line reconnected. She didn’t call back.

Call 3: 30th July, I called Customer Services to complain and ask what had happened. I was told by 'Suzanne' that the new Hub does not support internet phones so by ordering the new hub, the internet phone was automatically cancelled!!!! At no point did the Indian call centre customer service representative tell me that this was the case, even though it must have been clear from my request that I still use the hub phone.

I complained about the poor Customer Service – i.e. the non-returned phone call and the lack of explanation about the implications of upgrading the new hob. Although she and her Manager Stephen Henderson apologized there was no offer of compensation. I asked that this be taken up and have a call back to explain why a: I wasn’t advised of this problem in the call to the Indian call centre and b: why I wasn’t called back as promised. Stephen explained that he would put this in action but it may take up to 2 weeks to sort out and he would get back to me. I decided to cancel the order for the new hub so that I could keep my hub phone, subject to the number being available. It would take up to 25 working hours to get this done, so it might be Monday/Tuesday before it is working again. He also said that he couldn't guarantee I could have my old Hub phone number back but he was hopeful. He said he would call back before 2.00 p.m. He did call back but I was out, but left a message to say that the order had been put in for the service to be reconnected.

Call 4, 5th August 2011. Hub phone still disconnected for incoming calls but works for outgoing calls. Went through the options on 0800 800 150 and there appeared to be no appropriate option to get put back to the same Customer Services team for this particular problem. Eventually I chose ‘change your phone or broadband service’ and was apparently put through to Sales – a rather shirty unhelpful woman called Danielle. I explained the situation and she said there was nothing that could be done as I (note I) had cancelled the internet phone. I said that wasn’t good enough as the phone had been cancelled in error by BT, and wanted to speak to a manager.  She then put me through to an Indian gentleman, Raj who said he could reinstate the original hub phone number but it will take up to 24 working hours, i.e. after 3.00 p.m. on Monday 8th August. He gave me a reference: 53455273743 for this. 

He also said he would take up my complaint and gave me a Complaint Reference Number: VOL0110ka11 and explained that BT would send me a complaints report within 10-15 days. He explained that the complaint would be referred to his (Raj’s) manager who will approach the other managers departments. 

Call 5, 12th August. Still no hub phone connection.

Spoke to Suresh Kalluri, call ending at 12.54p.m. Explained the whole story to him and once again he apologised. He said he would mail the original Customer Service Advisor from 29th July and her Manager and they would listen to a recording of the conversation to confirm whether or not she had given me correct information and would call me back ‘as soon as possible’. When pressed he said today or tomorrow, so I gave him an alternative mobile number as I would not be at home all the time. I said that I was extremely sceptical whether anyone would call me back based on the previous experience, though I am absolutelly confident that there was no mention at all of the hub phone not being available with a 3.0 Home Hub.

I am now without a valuable resource - i.e. a separate phone number for incoming calls so I know who is ringing - as a direct result of BT's incompetence.  With the exception of the one callback from Stephen, what I have been promised by each of BT's employees has not happened.

I have now sent a letter of complaint to the Customer Service Manager, BT Customer Correspondence Centre, Providence Row, Durham, DH98 1BT asking for a response within 14 days. I've also sent the same information by email. It will be interesting to see if anything actually happens now.

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
plainview
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 10

Re: terrible customer service - doesn't anyone care?

Sounds like you have had an awful time but let me assure you, your case is not the exception, BT make these mistakes on a daily basis.

Anyway the real reason I was replying was to tell you to edit your post as you have put your mobile number on here. This is a public forum for the whole world to see so probably best not to put personal information on here.

Highlighted
gouledw
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 10

Hi Alfshuman,

What I can advise you to do is contact the mods, you can do that by following this link: http://bt.custhelp.com/app/contact_email/c/4951 they are a UK based team in Northern Ireland and have an excellent reputation for getting things fixed.  And you'll only be dealing with one person not being put beetween different advisors.

Alfshuman
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 10

thanks - well spotted about the mobile number. Now removed. I will contact the team as you suggest too.

0 Ratings
gouledw
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 10

Ohh please note they will take around 3 days to contact you possibly a bit longer as it's the weekend.

Alfshuman
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 10

surprise surpise, no one came back to me, either from the Irish Team or from BT Customer Services, who had promised they would ring me back within a couple of days - last week. Just called customer services again to be told that there was nothing they can do about the VOIP phone apology apology apology apology blah blah blah blah.  This chap has promised me that they will send me a letter of apology (so same again) but I have insisted that I want an explaination of why the mistake was made in the first place and why no-one has called me back. Do they think that apologising about that is a substitute for incorrect information in the first place, the loss of a service I valued and 5 broken promises in a row.

I am I guess stuck with BT until my contract ends in March 2011 - or am I? If they break their side of the bargain, does that mean I can get out without penalties?

Beware. Anyone thinking of taking out a domestic contract with BT, 1 word:  DON'T.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 10

Hi a few quick suggestions 1 have you checkeed your spam folder incase the mods mail to you has gone there ?
2 have you checked the they would reply to the email address youused to register to the forum have you checked that ?
3 you should have recieved a reference number when you mailed them you could resend the mail to them enclosing ther reference in case the mail has gone astray it is possibledue to the high number they recieve

and just to ensure you had the correct link i will ost it again for you http://bt.custhelp.com/app/contact_email/c/4951
0 Ratings
Alfshuman
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 10

At last - someone who clearly does care!

Just had a phone call from Stuart, one of the Irish moderators and I finally feel as if someone is listening and is going to do something. Long story short, he could have set up my internet phone again for me but unlikely to be the same number, which isn't much help as it is a number I had had printed on cards for a voluntary support group I run for owners of dogs with a particular genetic problem. (The cards are handed out by volunteers around the country when they come across a dog of that particular breed with details of a new national testing programme to encourage them to get involved).  

I've accepted I can't have the additional phone number and therefore I'll have to change the number on the support group website and it's just occured to me that I'm going to have to get some more cards printed with an alternative number and posted out(more expense!) . It also mans that I'll no longer recognise that it is a support call coming in, so will have to be careful when I answer the phone.

The key thing is that Stuart recognises that the quality of customer care offered has been appalling so far. He's arranging for me to get a new Home Hub 3 for free as some compensation. It's not a complete solution but it's something, so thank you very much Stuart .... and I look forward to your confirmation email and actually getting the thing eventually!

Wonder if the recorded delivery letter to the Manager of Customer Support that I wrote last week will get such a positive response? .......

Tags (2)
0 Ratings
Alfshuman
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 10

oh and John46 - yes I did have a reference number and yes I had checked spam, but given my previous experience with BT when I didn't get a reply within a short time as promised, I wasn't particularly surprised.

Fortunately however, Stuart picked up this second request, realised that somehow my original request for help had been missed by the team and got back to me.

Tags (2)
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 10

Hi glad you have your problems now resolved as i said i was suprised if you had no response from the mods and as to the mods response time i know they do try to reply in under 72 hours but like anywhere emails can go astray and sometime reply time can get extended any way again glad things are getting sorted for you
0 Ratings