cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 1 of 5

trouble with VPN on HH5

hello,

i very recently changed provider to bt about 2 days ago and while i have been connecting all of my devices back up i hit trouble with my VPN server.

i have made my own firewall rule to allow 500 and 4500 to the VPN server so that i can connect externaly but the connection keeps on timing out. 

i can connect internaly with no problems but when i try externaly it always fails.

what could be causing this as i really need this working.

Tags (2)
0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 5

Re: trouble with VPN on HH5

@carbonjoker wrote:

hello,

i very recently changed provider to bt about 2 days ago and while i have been connecting all of my devices back up i hit trouble with my VPN server.

i have made my own firewall rule to allow 500 and 4500 to the VPN server so that i can connect externaly but the connection keeps on timing out. 

i can connect internaly with no problems but when i try externaly it always fails.

what could be causing this as i really need this working.

You will see that a number of people in this forum have been reporting problems with VPN and the HH5; there is also a firmware problem with some HH3. It is possible that you too have have come up against these difficulties.

However, I see that you are a new customer of BT and there are a couple of problems that BT puts in the way of customers of which you may not be aware.

Go to http://preferences.webaddresshelp.bt.com/selfcare/preferences.cgi and turn off BT address help; it is not compatible with VPN.

Also check that your address is not being shared http://btsupport.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44044/c/6433

Michael
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 3 of 5

The bt address help is already disabled and my IP address is not being shared. What else can i do?

I have my old sky router which i would be fine with using but they have firmware locked it to them unfortunatly.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 5

@carbonjoker wrote:
The bt address help is already disabled and my IP address is not being shared. What else can i do?

I have my old sky router which i would be fine with using but they have firmware locked it to them unfortunatly.

I'm afraid that I don't have a direct answer to your question about what else to do.

However a different question did come into my mind as to whether anyone (in the Forum) has got VPN to work with a HH5? If so, which VPN package, and with which firmware on the hub?

To be clear: I am not in any sense suggesting that VPN won't work, just wondering if we can definitely eliminating that possibility given the problems that there are in this regard with the HH3A.

Michael
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 5

@Brighton_Rock wrote:

<snip>

However a different question did come into my mind as to whether anyone (in the Forum) has got VPN to work with a HH5? If so, which VPN package, and with which firmware on the hub?

To be clear: I am not in any sense suggesting that VPN won't work, just wondering if we can definitely eliminating that possibility given the problems that there are in this regard with the HH3A.

No replies. Not conclusive one way or another on whether there may be a systematic problem with VPN using the HH5, or indeed using any router on Infinity. Those using VPN successfully may have no reason to come to the Forum or comment.

I wonder though whether there could be any possibility that the same problem that slipped into the HH3A firmware might also be present in that for the HH5. Particularly - and I have no way of knowing whether it is the same team - if the same team are in charge of both. 

I don't yet have Infinity but I'm reluctant to get it without some confidence that VPN would work with the HH5.

Michael
0 Ratings