Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 6

tv package and box selections?

hi

Only last month I had the option of tv unlimited and the youview box , things seem to have changed recently where I cant get the youview box with the tv unlimited or unlimited extra?

I gather its because of the new 18 added channels , which possibly need a cable connection.

But why have they implemented it like this I thought the youview box was the box that BT are advertising everywhere yet when you want the best tv package available you have to have the bt vision box.

Can anyone shed any light or is the bt vision box a newer version?

cheers

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 6

Re: tv package and box selections?

Th BT Vision box is totally under BT control whereas in Youview BT is one of several partners. Thus Bt can dictate the priorities for its BT Vision box development but negotiate the priorities with its partners for Youview. Thus  new technology and developments become available and get introduced  at different times on the two boxes.

So currently on Youview from BT you should be able to get tv unlimited but not unlimited extra. That isexpected to change during the summer when Youview  release a a further software upgrade. So currently IF you have the right (infinity & multicast) exchange and broadband connections you can get extra linear channels on the BT Vision box that are not currently available on the Youview box. Also the BT Vision box has a card slot that enables it to receive and decrypt the sports channels that are received thru the aerial from the freeview transmiiters. Youview on the otherhand has services offered by other partners that may not be available on the BY visison box.

As for best TV package that depends upon your own viewpoint -- Currently Youview is weak on sports options but that should change from August with it having the equivalent of that available on BT Vision box for Infinity & multicast conections.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 6

I just tried to get tv essential extra or tv unlimited extra and both have to have the bt vision box

the only way I can get the youview box now is if I pick tv essential.

cheers

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 6

If your not seeing the offer/combunation  you want it is probably best if you phone BT to order.

The online offers/promotion  sometimes dont offer all the possible combinations or offer different options as you progress through the screens.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 6

@mitch84 wrote:

I just tried to get tv essential extra or tv unlimited extra and both have to have the bt vision box

the only way I can get the youview box now is if I pick tv essential.

cheers

The 'Extra' packages deliver the extra channels using Infinity and multicast. The Youview box doesn't currently support multicast. So the web site is correct to say you can only get those packages on a BT Vision+ box.

The Youview box is due to get a software update to allow it to support multicast. That is the way BT Sport 1 & 2 and ESPN will be delivered on Youview via Infinity. So from August I guess BT will also be offering the other extra channels on Youview unless there are any contractual limitations that stop them doing that.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 6

cheers for that , I think them extra channels is a new thing because a couple of weeks back I could get tv unlimited with the youview box but it seems they have slightly changed the tv packages.

0 Ratings