cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 7

uPnP Media Server Issue - PLEASE help.... I'm going insane!!!!!!

Hi

I've recently upgraded to BT Infinity and that I had to use the new HomeHub 4. I was promised by the salesman that previous issues I'd experienced with HH3 and uPnP (Macbook to PS3 for DLNA media streaming) would not be repeated - I had to dump the HH3 for a NetGear router for uPnP to work. I even got the HH4 for free given previous negative experience with HH3.

Anyway, suprise suprise after the engineer came to install BT Infinity (I was at work at the time), I found that the HH4 does not work with uPnP for me in that I cannot get my PS3 to see my macbook. Grrrrrr.

I have tried on numerous ocassions to speak to the overseas technical support desk (again, i was promised by the original salesman that this would resolve all issues) and at one point they even tried to charge me!!!!! I was genuinely shocked at that. They just insist that it is nothing to do with the router, they can't help and it must be something to do with my other devices - utter nonsense! I've spoken to at least half a dozen different people without a positive outcome.

I've spent hours and hours and hours trawelling through forums and have not found a solution to my problem. Everything worked fine with the Netgear router but switching to HH4 has caused the issue.

My network is wireless. I have uPnP enabled on the router. Why is my PS3 not finding my Macbook?? Does uPnP even work with HH4?

Can someone please please help me or have any clues/pointers that I can try???

I genuinely feel like I've been conned by BT.

I'm very tired and very angry.

Mike

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: uPnP Media Server Issue - PLEASE help.... I'm going insane!!!!!!

Dump the HH4 and go back to your Netgear router. Unless you are desperate to use the 5Ghz frequency on the HH4 then there is no great advantage to using it. There are many posts on this forum that it is not all it's cracked up to be by BT. If the Netgear did everything you wanted from it then use it.

0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 7

Thanks for your response. The problem is that I've been told by BT that I must use the HH4 for BT Infinity to work as my existing Netgear broadband router is incompatible (a network chap at work sort of confirmed this... something about different protocols). This whole sorry mess has come about because I upgraded to Infinity.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 7

What Netgear Model is it? Does it have a port on the back marked WAN or cable/DSL modem.

Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 7

The model is N300 Wireless ADSL2+ Modem Router.

I think you're probably right though...ditch the HH4 and get a newer Netgear model?

0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 7

I forgot to say that it jsut had 4 x Ethernet ports + 1 x ADSL port on the back - no good!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 7

Yep, 'fraid so.

0 Ratings