cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pandaman
Contributor
Message 1 of 16

unable to get BT email on new tablet

Can anybody help with this problem please. My wife bought a new Acer Iconia 8 tablet a couple of days ago to replace an old Hudle tablet that was causing problems. As she is not very computer literate, I'm not brilliiant, I set it it up for her. Got the Gmail account sorted but she only used her BT email address on the old tablet. I tried adding a new account manually but after entering the details on the incoming mail page and clicking 'next' it keeps saying it is unable to connect to the server. I have followed BT's help pages, put her email address and password in correctly, entered bt.mail.com as the server, selected IMAP with port 993 (tried other port No's. as well) put the security protocol as SSL but as I said it keeps saying that it cannot access server. I can't put any outgoing mail details in as that may be on the next page. I contacted Acer support but they said it is BT's details that need inputting correctly but as far as I can see I am doing that. Any ideas any body?

I know I could just change her BT email address to gmail but would prefer the BT route if possible.

0 Ratings
15 REPLIES 15
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 16

Re: unable to get BT email on new tablet

The server is mail.btinternet.com

0 Ratings
pandaman
Contributor
Message 3 of 16

Sorry That is the server address I have been inputting. Typing error.

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 16

You will need to put the outgoing server details in also to be able to connect. Outgoing port is 465, SSL and authentication required ticked.

0 Ratings
pandaman
Contributor
Message 5 of 16

There is nowhere to enter the outgoing server details, only the incoming details.
0 Ratings
Andy_N
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 16

@pandaman wrote:
There is nowhere to enter the outgoing server details, only the incoming details.

Hi.

What mail client are you using on the tablet?

0 Ratings
pandaman
Contributor
Message 7 of 16

It's gmail.

0 Ratings
Andy_N
Distinguished Guru
Message 8 of 16

@pandaman wrote:

It's gmail.

Thanks.

I've just tried the Gmail app on my tablet, and had no issues.

I chose "Other" on initial setup, then chose Manual setup (pop3). Entered the email address/password - it gave btinternet.com as the pop3 server, so I added "mail." to the start. After pressing Next it again gave me smtp server as btinternet.com - again I added "mail."

After a couple of extra settings, the account was added. I then successfully sent (and received) myself a test email.

0 Ratings
pandaman
Contributor
Message 9 of 16

Thanks for that, I have tried POP 3 and Imap with no luck. Will try again. May have to contact Acer support again to see if they have any suggestions. Again thanks for trying to solve this for me.
0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 16

To set up a BT account in gmail:

Open gmail app.

Go to settings 

Add account

Other

Enter your email address