Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
socnsum1
Beginner
Message 1 of 12

unable to receive incoming calls

Hi.

I am unable to receive incoming calls on my BT landline. I can ring out on the line and my internet connection is working.

I have tried all normal fault finding steps to try and narrow down the problem.

I have unplugged all other devices and tried just plugging in the phone. I have also tried plugging in an alternative phone.

I still get a dial tone, but everytime someone tries to ring me it goes straight to answerphone and my phone doesn't ring.

As I say I have tried two different phones and also checked that the ringer is on.

I took off the front part of my socket and plugged both phones into the test socket. Again I get a dial tone, but again I am unable to receive calls on either phone.

I am trying to work out if this is a fault at my end or at BT's end. They have done a line test for me and say everything is fine.

Does anyone have any ideas of suggestions?

I just want to know if it is a fault at my end or at BT's end as I know that there is a big charge if its a fault at my end.

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions.

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 12

Re: unable to receive incoming calls

Have you tried calling your mobile phone to check what number is displayed? You may have a crossed line.
(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
socnsum1
Beginner
Message 3 of 12

Hi Dave. Thanks for the suggestion. As I am ex directory no number shows up when I call my mobile from my landline. It just states unknown number. When I try calling my landline it goes straight to BT answerphone. Any thoughts?
0 Ratings
jojojigs
Message 4 of 12

Are you near Brands Hatch by any chance....I have exactly the same problem 

0 Ratings
socnsum1
Beginner
Message 5 of 12

nope, I am in the L32 Liverpool area
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 12

If you call your mobile and prefix the number with 1470, then your number will be displayed.

Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 7 of 12

KB's right. Caller ID must have been disabled on your landline - being ex-directory does not by itself prevent your number being given.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
socnsum1
Beginner
Message 8 of 12

Thanks. I tried that and it just went right to my mobile answerphone. My mobile didn't ring or register the call from my landline. Weird one I know. Thanks for all of the suggestions btw.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 12

@socnsum1 wrote:
Thanks. I tried that and it just went right to my mobile answerphone. My mobile didn't ring or register the call from my landline. Weird one I know. Thanks for all of the suggestions btw.

I would try again, its probably just a mobile signal problem.

0 Ratings
socnsum1
Beginner
Message 10 of 12

I have managed to call my mobile using the landline and my mobile DOES display my landline number. Does that rule out a crossed line then? Sorry to be a pain. I really appreciate all of the suggestions that people have made. Based on what I have said do people think its a problem at my end or a BT fault?
0 Ratings