cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Rob_Hale
Contributor
Message 1 of 51

unreliable broadband - please help

Hi there, well my story started pretty much as soon as I had BT installed, it began with speeds varying between 750 - 1500 kbps which i thought was a bit slow but it was good enough to do the job so i didnt take it any further, however about 5 months ago now my internet dived to around 130 kbps which i couldn't even surf websites properly this super slow speed would strike atleast once - twice a day for hours at a time but on the whole my average speed was still 500kbps which i was disappointed with but i could still play xbox live and surf websites just about but then when i thought things couldnt get any worse i suffered from a 130kbps speed which lasted well over a week so i contacted BT i spoke to a person who assured me it would be sorted and i should see improvement by 9pm at night and he would phone me to confirm it had picked up, it took a little longer than he said but im not complaining it was sorted it went upto 5500 kbps by 12 pm the next day i was extremely happy having never seen above 1500 kbps when online before but this lasted only for 12 hours then it dropped to 700 kbps then this lasted another 12 hours at tops and dropped to 130 kbps again and plagued me for several more days. I then contacted BT again as the person i spoke to before obviously forgot about me so i went through the same steps ive done 3 times before having to check the test socket and she did speed tests on my line i assured her i've followed all the steps which i had from using no extensions to changing my ethernet cable i even installed a newer model of BT HomeHub 2.0, she assured me she would contact me by wednesday but i still havent heard from her or anyone, anyways she also said that she had placed me on a ten day stabilisation period However for the past 6 days ive received 1500 kbps for about 2 hours 700 kbps for about 2 hours and the rest has been 70 - 130kbps i just cant handle it anymore no matter what i do it doesnt work nothing gets better for more than a few hours and im back in the same boat, i just dont understand that if my internet speed can be put to 5500 kbps within 12 hours with nothing needing to be done on my end or no engineer why i have never seen this before and have yet to see it after or anything even slightly close to this figure and all this was done without needing to cause stabilisation plus when i talk on the phone there is a lot of interference always has been but i have changed everything at my end hardware wise even new microfilters so i dont understand how it's there. btw im on 18 month contract 20 meg internet option 1 i believe, thanks to anyone that can help ive tried to put all the information needed, sorry i waffled a bit lol.

Downstream160 Kbps
Upstream448 Kbps

ADSL Settings
VPI/VCI0/38
TypePPPoA
ModulationG.992.1 Annex A
Latency typeInterleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up)21.1 dB / 19.0 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up)35.4 dB / 21.0 dB
Output power (Down/Up)1.4 dBm / 1.4 dBm
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote)0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote)0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote)0 / 0
FEC Errors (Down/Up)3 / 13
CRC Errors (Down/Up)1 / 699
HEC Errors (Down/Up)0 / 26
Error Seconds (Local/Remote)1 / 25

Connection Information
Line stateConnected
Connection time0 days, 13:54:27
Downstream160 Kbps
Upstream448 Kbps

Download speedachieved during the test was - 107 Kbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 50-250 Kbps.
 Additional Information:
 Your DSL Connection Rate :160 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
 IP Profile for your line is - 135 Kbps

0 Ratings
50 REPLIES 50
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 51

Re: unreliable broadband - please help

if you are getting noise on your line this will kill your broadband.  try the quiet line test  dial 17070 option 2 - should be quiet- if not then report a phone fault NOT a broadband fault.  get this fixed and should really help your broadband.  best done with a corded phone if possible

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Rob_Hale
Contributor
Message 3 of 51

okay i phoned the quiet line and couldn't hear hardly anything perhaps the noise on my phone is because their cordless, but they aren't cheap models. also my internet cuts out when i use the phone :S which kinda goes against the whole point of broadband just happened again now when i dialled quiet line.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 51

are you connected to the master or test socket or an extension socket elsewhere in your home?

with cordless phones on quiet line usually hear a low hum/noise which is normal

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Rob_Hale
Contributor
Message 5 of 51

i never use extension sockets they always make my internet fail, atm im plugged into my main socket, althought i have done various tests through the test socket aswell however it doesnt change much, gimme a few minutes ill use the test socket see if it improves

0 Ratings
Rob_Hale
Contributor
Message 6 of 51

new results from test socket Download speedachieved during the test was - 102 Kbps For your connection,

the acceptable range of speeds is 50-250 Kbps.

Additional Information:

Your DSL Connection Rate :6432 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)

IP Profile for your line is - 135 Kbps

i've found my dsl connection rate downstream has shot through the roof however my download speed has dropped by around 30 kbps to a 102 and and i still dont understand why my ip profile is set so low :S or the range of acceptable speeds

Tags (2)
0 Ratings
NilSatisOptimum
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 51

It can take some time to recover, hours to several days.  Any lost connection or no increase from this point i would email the mods. Dont induce a reset on the Hub though as this will be seen by Bt as problem and reduce your profile to try and establish a solid connection. The steps you have gone through with imjolly is to eliminate any problems your end and to avoid a charge. 

forum.moderation.team@bt.com with Account number, telephone number and link to this thread?

Mortgage Advisor 2000-2008
Green Energy Advisor 2008-2010
Charity Health Care Provider Advisor 2010-
I'm alright Jack....
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 51

as your connection has improved dramatically in the test socket there is obviously a problem with your wiring of the extensions causing noise on your line.

The profile of 135 is due to the low speed you previously had but if you can remain connected 24/7 in the test socket for 3/5 days then your profile will rise as shown here http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/IPprofile.htm

One of the main causes of noise is the orange wire on terminal 3 and this should be disconnected from the master and any extension sockets  http://www.jarviser.co.uk/jarviser/bellwirenutshell.html

0 Ratings
Rob_Hale
Contributor
Message 9 of 51

Thanks ill get on it now 🙂

0 Ratings
Rob_Hale
Contributor
Message 10 of 51

oh one other thing, where the cable comes through the wall into my socket there appears to be a few green plastic strands sticking out of a black cable that arent connected to anything, is this an issue for concern?

0 Ratings