cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 1 of 9

untrustworty lying supplier, how do they stay in business

Just joined BT infinity to get a decent broadband speed. What a mistake and nightmare.

Have been getting speeds as low as 0.3mbs, spent hours and hours on the phone trying to get it sorted with no luck. Finally resorted to disconnections as it had not yet been 14 days. They persuaded me to hang on and give them a chance to sort it out, I agreed but wanted to be able to cancel the contract if they could not which they agreed to and fortunately I got they to email a copy of this to me.

Fast forward to today and the engineer has been round a replaced a piece of wiring and the speed test showed 69mbs, great more than happy with that. The engineer said I should expect normal speeds of around 60mbs and it should never fall below 30mbs.

10 minutes after leaving speeds are down to 8mbs. Phoned BT to cancel my contract only to find all the notes on our agreement have disappeared and I am now lock in, tough luck basically. fortunately I have the email sent from them so I feel they cannot wriggle out of it.

Not sure of the next step, should I just cancel my Direct Debit or is there someone with one once of sense that I can speak to, Any suggestions?

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: untrustworty lying supplier, how do they stay in business

Are you testing your speed using a wireless connection, or a direct Ethernet cable connected between your computer, and your home hub?

Check the speed here, and also show the further diagnostics.

BT Wholesale Speedtester

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 3 of 9

I have been using broadbandspeedchecker and the btwholesale and get varing results. I only have wireless.

BT acknowledege that I have a fault, that they keep saying is fixed, but when you phone them up again they say the fault is still there.

I just can't get a truthfull answer out of them.As per the title of my post they are proving themselves to be untruthfull and unhelpfull. I just wish i hadn't changed to them. If they think I am going to put up with this for two years they can think again. If not resolved soon I shall go to Trading Standards about misleading adverts and unfair lock in tactics.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 9

The only valid speed test that BT will accept, is using a wired connection, as they do not guarantee that a wireless connection will work properly, as there are too many variables.

If you are using a home hub 5, disable smart setup as that can cause problems. Also you may find that disabling smart wireless, and manually selecting a wireless channel, will improve your connection speed.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 5 of 9

Have used the bt speed test and that also showed massive variations in speed. In the last 24hrs it has varied from 1.5mbs to 70mbs.
I have also tied using a home plug but get the same results. These are the only 2 ways I can connect.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 6 of 9

Hi jaguartvr,

Welome and thanks for posting. I can look into this for you. Drop me an email with the details. You'll find the "contact us" form in the about me section of my profile. Once I have the details we'll take it from there.

Cheers

David

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 9

You need to use a wire to test your connection direct from your computer to the hub. If this still shows a problem then theres something wrong. If its all good with the wire, then its your own environment thats the issue as wifi isnt a guaranteed connection. Anything can interfere with it. Even homeplugs arent reliable as they are reliant on the quality of your own power cables around the home.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Sage
Message 8 of 9

You can buy ethernet cable up to 100mts quite cheaply from a well known auction site.

Wired is always better than wireless.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 9 of 9

I find that wireless and home plugs can lose me up to 50% of the speed(this is one of the things I didn't realise and initially complained about on here!) but it shouldn't be down at less than 1mbps!

How old is the equipment you are using - wireless card and home plugs?

I found getting those updated(mine were 3 years old), helped improve the speed.

0 Ratings