cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 1 of 41

upload speed half of what it should be download is ok - newish install 2 days old.

Hi folks

I have just moved to BT fibre infinity 2 on wed this week ( the 7th may ) from sky adsl after they moved me to there systems from BE there . the BT install \ set up went nice & smooth after a non openreach engineer from kellys changed my BT socket wiring etc the best he could in the short time he was with me. 

we had a master socket in the kichen along with 3 other sockets in the house but i wanted the HH5 in my bedroom so he changed some socket wiring about & instralled a open reach mk2 socket in my bedroom for the hh5 to be plugged in to.  

This is the info off the hh5 on wed morning ( 7th may )
1. Product name: BT Home Hub
2. Serial number: +>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
3. Firmware version: Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.173.1.6 (Type A) Last updated Unknown
4. Board version: BT Hub 5A
5. VDSL uptime: 0 days, 01:10:36
6. Data rate: 8158 / 60527
7. Maximum data rate: 8331 / 60490
8. Noise margin: 6.2 / 6.1
9. Line attenuation: 0.0 / 23.0
10. Signal attenuation: 0.0 / 20.9

I am getting download speed of 56 Mb/s but only upload speed of 7 Mb/s, even if the BT web site says I can get up to 19 Mb\s upload speed.

so i asked a BT online adviser & he says he will get back to me after 3 days for the install to get stable ( line stabilisation ), & fingers crossed i should be able to get a min of 11 Mb\s but i might be able to get 17 to 19 Mb\s upload speed.

also i had a strange phone call from BT just a few hours after the install & the lady said how are things, so I said the download was fine but the upload was half speed.
but she said it will get faster in a couple of hours & then just hung up,,,,,

so should I be worried now.

however the hh5 has restarted a few times all ready =

3. Firmware version:Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.173.1.6 (Type A) Last updated 08/05/14
4. Board version:BT Hub 5A
5. VDSL uptime:0 days, 03:03:18
6. Data rate:8588 / 60339
7. Maximum data rate:8556 / 60108
8. Noise margin:6.0 / 5.8
9. Line attenuation:0.0 / 22.9
10. Signal attenuation:0.0 / 20.8

I am a IT conslutant & pc engineer by trade so i know a few little things about ISP's etc but this can not be right, how can the upload speed be half of what if should be but the download speed is good ok it could be better.

56Mb-75Mb* Estimated download speed range \ 17Mb-20Mb* Estimated upload speed range, i am only about 550m from the excahnge & the exchange only as got 7,318 residential premises & 275 non-residential premises running off it.

thanks

kenny

0 Ratings
40 REPLIES 40
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 2 of 41

Re: upload speed half of what it should be download is ok - newish install 2 days old.

bt speed test day 1 upload half.jpg

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 3 of 41

Re: upload speed half of what it should be download is ok - newish install 2 days old.

bt line info.JPG

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 4 of 41

subaruswift wrote:

6. Data rate:8588 / 60339
7. Maximum data rate:8556 / 60108
8. Noise margin:6.0 / 5.8
9. Line attenuation:0.0 / 22.9
10. Signal attenuation:0.0 / 20.8

Something looks not quite right to me! Firstly the signal attenuation seems high for the speeds you were expecting.

Also DLM aims for S/N ratios of ~6.0dB and it looks like the maximum speeds it has set are consistent with this! 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 5 of 41

many thanks for the reply i am a bit lost of what it should be like for fibre, do you think it might be my house wiring \ set up, or a issue at the exchange or even on BT computer systems.

give me a pc issue to sort out as i am still learning about these line faults & info stats etc...

kenny

0 Ratings
Contributor
Message 6 of 41

is this info i find any good =

Attenuation is listed with both downstream and upstream values.

20db and below = Outstanding
20db-30db = Excellent
30db-40db = Very Good
40db-50db = Good
50db-60db = Poor and may experience connectivity issues
60db and above = Bad and will experience connectivity issues

Like Sync and Attenuation, SNR has downstream and upstream measurements.

6db or below = Bad and will experience no line synchronization and frequent disconnections

7db-10db = Fair but does not leave much room for variances in conditions.
11db-20db = Good with little or no disconnection problems
20db-28db = Excellent
29db or above = Outstanding

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 7 of 41

I am largely puzzled that my own speeds (~7600up and ~45000 down) are from a line with attenuation figures about the same as you are seeing - EXCEPT that I know I am about 400metres from the FTTC cabinet - and what I get is expected in the BT Wholesale database!

I might  have expected lower attenuation if you were getting your predicted speeds.

The main thing (I believe) is your quoted speeds look consistent with your S/N ratios (5.8 and 6.0). DLM should maximise the speeds it sets to get a S/N of about 6 (AFAIK)!

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 8 of 41

so do you think a bad install \ rewire could be the cause of my upload issue ?.

however do you think the download speed could be better too or just the upload speed.

cheers

edit =

fibre as only been in my area for a month or so, could that maybe cause an issue too.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 9 of 41

I am guessing that something is pulling your signal level lower than it should be - so that DLM is (correctly!) lowering your speeds to get its target S/N ratio!

The puzzling thing is that the master socket you said was fitted SHOULD be directly on the incoming line to your house so there is nothing between it and the FTTC cabinet - so any house extension wiring should not affect it!

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 10 of 41

it is hard to explain but in my house we have 3 bedrooms with bt sockets in them & one in the living room what was the main socket, before we had the kichen socket made in to master socket after a wire fault.

i think the bloke who came from kellys installed a mk2 open reach socket in my bedrrom & he said that is the main socket now, he changed some wiring from the other sockets & he do something to the old master socket in the kichen & the black main bt junction box outside at the reat of the house where the kichen is.

he also said the living room socket is not working now so that needs blanking off, i have a feeling the openreach socket in the kicken is still acting as a master socket even if the one in my room where the hh5 is should be the master socket.

is this somthing an open reach engineer can double check as i think the house wiring install might be wrong some how.

p,s if i take off the face plate in the master socket in my bedroom the phones cut off so at least that part must be right.

but what if the old master socket what is still there in the kichen, is being used to make the bedroom master one work ? hope that makes sense.

0 Ratings