cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 11 of 41

Re: upload speed half of what it should be download is ok - newish install 2 days old.

What my (genuine OpenReach!!!) engineer did in my house sounds very similar - but perhaps he did it better!

What he did was to crimp the incoming wire onto what used to be extension wiring in the original master socket and then use this to create a new master socket for VDSL in one of my bedrooms. If you look inside my old master socket you can see the crimped joins between the two cables. He seemed to spend some time testing it out.

It sounds like your contractor tried to do the same thing - but perhaps he spent less time checking it all worked perfectly!

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 12 of 41

Re: upload speed half of what it should be download is ok - newish install 2 days old.

I had 'similar' issues, whereby the contractor installed a master socket on an extension line, which I found out after the OR engineer visited to deal with a fault I had. He did similar by carrying out some work on the original master to make the faceplate in the office upstairs the new master, albeit an extension within the house.

On a follow up visit by OR a few months later to deal with a new issue, during their fault finding, they identified that although the master socket was a master, it was on an extension spur off the main entry point into the property.

They weren't happy, and ran some external wiring from where the line entered the property up to the master, so it was now the first point into the property, as opposed to somewhere in a line, with other extensions off it.

Hope that helps.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 13 of 41

many thanks you 2 it makes me a bit worried now as i feel like a OR engineer WILL have to visit my house, & sort this out soon.

i will see what BT say in a few days after the so called 3 days wait what the online adviser told me, he sent me a text saying to contact him back so i will on sat afternoon.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 14 of 41

When they ran my new line in it increased my download speed from 32 up to abround 60, and additionally my upload from 10 to 16.

So I am guessing if they were to run a new line in it may increase your upload, as looking at your stats your speeds - both  down and up - are almost maxed out when comparing data rate (what you are getting) to the max data rate (what you could get).

Ultimately I would let it stabilise, and then assess what you are getting, and whether it is acceptable for what you use it for.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 15 of 41

i work from home a lot doing pc support & sorting out pcs so a nice good fast but stable line is a must for me.

Last night I kept on to BT online advisers & they passed me up the food chain so to speak, so after a bit I got around to getting a BT open reach engineer booked in for my issue.
I have to say it was hard work at times but I hope the engineer can fix the issue at my house or elsewhere as I am loving these new speeds..... .

However i got up this morning to see the router as restarted again about the same time each morning, but now my download speed is about 7 Mb\s slower now.

5. VDSL uptime: 0 days, 01:18:38
6. Data rate: 8087 / 53260 ( these speeds do not move up or down now )
7. Maximum data rate: 8352 / 61289 ( these speeds still move up or down when I refresh the page )
8. Noise margin: 6.3 / 5.9 ( these move up or down when I refresh the page )
9. Line attenuation: 0.0 / 22.9
10. Signal attenuation: 0.0 / 20.9

maybe as this is the 4th day of the install they have capped my speeds after I was getting some where. so I hope when the engineer turns up he can get back my speeds & fingers crossed get my upload speed to what it should it.

thanks

kenny

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 16 of 41

There's no "they" to cap your speeds - DLM is an automatic system. If your speeds have been capped, you would see your noise margin rise 3-6 dB. Note that your data rate will only change when your router re-syncs.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
If you found this post helpful, please click on the star on the left
If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 17 of 41

@subaruswift wrote:

i work from home a lot doing pc support & sorting out pcs so a nice good fast but stable line is a must for me.

kenny

So you are actually a self-employed business person?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 18 of 41

i see so if it is the DLM automatic system then surely that controls the speeds hence why i said capped.

just funy in the 4th day the info from the hh5 hub does not change like it did on the 1st to the 3rd day, i am getting worried i made a mistake moving to BT as something is not right somewhere & it is hard work to get anything done about it.

i spend a lot of my time on the internet & phone calls etc so i would like to get the install job done right & looked after if it fails.

i am not being rude to them or anyone but i am in the trade & it gets to me when i feel let down as i would like to get the servcie that i pay for & moving to BT i thought i would get it.

so i hope the OR eng can solve any issues i have.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 19 of 41

yes i am classed as a sole trader.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 20 of 41

@subaruswift wrote:

yes i am classed as a sole trader.

I think you are posting on the wrong forum, as this is the Residential customers forum. BT do not allow residential lines to be used for business use.

Business Infinity is a totally different product, with guaranteed upload speeds, and a proper SLA. If you are on business Infinity, then you would have a valid complaint, and should chase it up via the BT Business helpline.

This is the link to the business users forum https://business.forums.bt.com/

0 Ratings