cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 21 of 41

Re: upload speed half of what it should be download is ok - newish install 2 days old.

sorry but the internet line is in my house not installed in a companys premises. i work from home but i go to companys etc if & when needed.

it is not a business line at all just a home line being used when i need to update or slove pc issues.

so you are telling me anyone who as got home internet can not use it for work use. i thought this BT forum was here to help people out & try to resolve their issues.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 22 of 41

Re: upload speed half of what it should be download is ok - newish install 2 days old.

@subaruswift wrote:

sorry but the internet line is in my house not installed in a companys premises. i work from home but i go to companys etc if & when needed.

it is not a business line at all just a home line being used when i need to update or slove pc issues.

so you are telling me anyone who as got home internet can not use it for work use. i thought this BT forum was here to help people out & try to resolve their issues.

As a BT customer, I am simply pointing out the T&C that BT quote, and you are unlikely to get much help from them, if you are using your line for commercial use.

From T&Cs "

3. The services and equipment we provide to you under these terms must not be used for business purposes."

BT normally make an exception if you are employed by a company, as a home worker, although many companies arrange for business lines to be installed, as they get a fast repair time, and a better Quality Of Service.

Your upload speed is most likely being restricted by your current class of service, and would probably improve when traffic levels are lower.

Your upload IP profile is correct, so the problem is simply due to network congestion.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 23 of 41

many thanks for pointing it out to me but i did explain to the BT advisers that i work from home doing pc support. even i mostly use the line for gaming & media use etc. i also use the line for my work as & when needed too.

It is installed in my folks home ( i pay the bills etc ) as i am in another area for upto 2 or even 3 weeks a month so the line really only gets used for a week or 2 a month. then it depands on my work load what is not always busy sorry to say when i am back home to where the line is installed from BT.

i just hope this issue can get sorted as the speeds are better then what i ever got in the past here ok it was only adsl \llu before this fibre got installed. so i would like the speeds to be the best they can be for me & my folks who sometimes use a spare pc that i made for them but that is rare these days aprt from my dad who goes on ebay & golf web sites lol.

i just feel somewhat gutted & a bit let down after SKY took over from BE There as the internet was bad but it was at SKYs end & there hidden charges what made me to move over to BT plus fibre is new around this area  ( about a month  ) so i just went for it hoping to get the best that i could for the money & service being BT.

however as you might know it can hard work to get bt to listen to you these days about an issue on the line, & then waiting 7 to 10 working days for a BT engineer to come out.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 24 of 41

@subaruswift wrote:

However i got up this morning to see the router as restarted again about the same time each morning, but now my download speed is about 7 Mb\s slower now.

5. VDSL uptime: 0 days, 01:18:38
6. Data rate: 8087 / 53260 ( these speeds do not move up or down now )
7. Maximum data rate: 8352 / 61289 ( these speeds still move up or down when I refresh the page )
8. Noise margin: 6.3 / 5.9 ( these move up or down when I refresh the page )
9. Line attenuation: 0.0 / 22.9
10. Signal attenuation: 0.0 / 20.9

maybe as this is the 4th day of the install they have capped my speeds after I was getting some where. so I hope when the engineer turns up he can get back my speeds & fingers crossed get my upload speed to what it should it.

thanks

kenny

I guess by 'i work from home a lot doing pc support & sorting out pcs' you mean you 'help the odd mate out who hasn't a clue'!Smiley Wink

Residential/business argument aside.....:

I would suggest that if your data rate has now stabilised and doesn't move, you have finally found your max download limit as governed by DLM. Likewise the upload imit you are getting appears to be just below your max - for what your line/connection can deliver. 

I found my hub restarted a few times until my data rate found its level, then has stayed on since that level was reached.  What firmware is the hub running - latest is 1.6?  There were what looks to have been two different restart issues experienced by HH5 users. The first would see the hub restarting in quick succession, I think indicating a hub fault.

The second was where the hub restarted every 24 hours, which I expereinced. My experience of that seems to have stopped since the hub downloaded an app package automatically.

Highlighted
Contributor
Message 25 of 41

ha-ha a few mates pcs come in yes when i am back at home funny that ! its keeps me busy plus it saves me doing diy in the house.

3. Firmware version:Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.173.1.6 (Type A) Last updated 08/05/14
4. Board version:BT Hub 5A

what you say makes sense i think the router restarts every 24 hrs at about 8 or 9 am.

so i guess its down to the OR eng to come out & check the install of the hh5 & the house wiring that a 3rd party did.

fingers crossed he will pick a fault up & that might make my speeds go up but stay stable as i see a lot of new BT end users are having there upload speeds half of what they should be strange that.

thanks

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 26 of 41

@subaruswift wrote:

however as you might know it can hard work to get bt to listen to you these days about an issue on the line, & then waiting 7 to 10 working days for a BT engineer to come out.

Openreach (These are the people who do the work, not BT) deal with business customers first, as they have PromptCare, TotalCare, or CriticalCare, which have a much faster response time, and they can claim compensation for lost business.

Residential StandardCare appointments are at the bottom of the queue, which is why they are sometimes missed, if there are higher priority faults.

Highlighted
Contributor
Message 27 of 41

makes sense what you have said as we home users always come bottom in the food chain so to speak for big companys, i am off on my travels later sun night for a few days untill BT ring me with a date & time for a OR call out eng, then i will travel back home for that day & stay at home for a while to check things.

it is a pain but travel is a must for me plus my better half lives out of the area too so i am only there for a set amount of time also lucky her  Smiley Wink. but the internet at home will get used by my folks when i am not there so i would like it stable & fast for the golf videos that my dad watchs due to bad health ( plus putting up with my mum,,,, love you mum ha-ha ) he gets bored in the day at times.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 28 of 41

Well, you have got the latest firmware, as of the 8th.  If you can wait and everything is fine, look out for the “5a.1.10-bundle5app” download entry which you will see in the hub logs. It is not a new firmware version for your hub.  This is a package of applications which sit on top of the firmware and is designed to maintain the performance of your Hub.  Since I got that my disconnects have stopped.

As I (think I) said my upload was around 10. Following latest engineers visit and new wire being run externally from where line used to enter house up to 'new' master socket, it has increased up to 17. 

I guess this is now because it is bypassing all the extensions, so the hub is first in line. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 29 of 41

i also think that the fibre install new master socket \faceplate as hacked or piggy backed in to the old master socket hence slowing my speeds & my overall top end speeds down.

so i hope who ever comes out does the wiring right & if they have to start from scratch then so be it, but i can not think for a min that they would rip out all the old wiring & start again as that would be a long day for them plus it might cost a bit too for them to do for free through BT or OR.

however i dont mind if they would like to start from scratch ! as that would put my mind at rest on the house wiring once & for all.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 30 of 41

@subaruswift wrote:

makes sense what you have said as we home users always come bottom in the food chain so to speak for big 

You can in fact, upgrade a Residential line to a higher care plan, at an extra cost. This is usually done for alarm or CareLines, however I don`t think you would get a quicker appointment, unless there was a total loss of service, so it would not be worth it unless you live in an area with a lot of faults.

Anyway, the speed you are getting has got to be better than ADSL Smiley Wink

0 Ratings