cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MaryS
Message 1 of 7

very OLD wiring

Good Evening, I have some very old BT (possibly even GPO!) wiring in my house for my telephone. I don't have a master socket, just a small oval box on the wall.

Our broadband has recently gone from 7.6mbit to less than 500kb and we suspect we are being strangled by the increase in BB uptake in ajoining houses.

We are also looking to move to BT broadband but would want the wiring updated so we have a master socket and can fit an iPlate to improve things.

As our wiring is SOOO old do we have to pay for this?

Mary

PS its the same as this but this is not ours:

http://www.gave-up.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/study.jpg

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 7

Re: very OLD wiring

You must have some sort of master socket, if you have an ADSL modem plugged in - unless you've removed the plug off the cable and wired it straight into the junction box.

However, if it's an old one, it may note be the modern NTE5.

BT wouldn't normally upgrade the existing socket unless there's actually a problem. If you want an old socket replaced, you have to pay.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 7

@MaryS wrote:

Good Evening, I have some very old BT (possibly even GPO!) wiring in my house for my telephone. I don't have a master socket, just a small oval box on the wall.

Our broadband has recently gone from 7.6mbit to less than 500kb and we suspect we are being strangled by the increase in BB uptake in ajoining houses.

We are also looking to move to BT broadband but would want the wiring updated so we have a master socket and can fit an iPlate to improve things.

As our wiring is SOOO old do we have to pay for this?

Mary

PS its the same as this but this is not ours:

http://www.gave-up.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/study.jpg

Hi Mary,

Welcome to the forums,

Can i ask how you connect to your existing broadband now if you only have that type of box.

Apart from that, they would install a NTE5 box if you do not have a plug in type of socket, that would be part of the install

[edit] as ectophile says, if you have an existing plug in type then they would not normally replace, but if there is no plug in box they would need too.

toekneem

(EASBF)

0 Ratings
MaryS
Message 4 of 7

The box shown does lead to a small type socket that takes a standard BT plug, but its only a small box I think I need this:

The options if you want to fit an ADSL faceplate or an I-Plate are to run a short wire from this socket to your own Master Socket that you have installed, or ask your telephone line rental provider what the cost would be for Openreach to attend and fit a new NTE5 master socket. This is known as a "Conversion of hard-wired master socket to Linebox and Regularisation of illicit master socket" in the BT Price List, or colloquially 'master socket normalisation', and costs around £25.

This is my existing socket (again not mine but the same as)

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/images/faq/iplate/old-small-bt-socket.jpg

M

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 7

I think then that you are going to have to pay if you want that changed. With broadband you would normally use a fillter in that picture of the second socket. This can be bought or I believe comes free with the homehub.

ADSL_Microfilter.jpg

If it was Infinity that you were ordering, then they would replace it with a new VDSL plate.

How much to replace yours , I am not sure.

toekneem

(EASBF)

0 Ratings
MaryS
Message 6 of 7

yes we have those on all sockets with a phone on and on the router one too.

Do you think it will be £25 plus callout or just £25+VAT

M

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 7 of 7

Hi Mary, I know nothing about BT charges, but I believe for BT to change that over to an NTE5 box would be more in the £130 range if it not necessarily needed.

I don't believe an Iplate as was mentioned is any good for you

That is my opinion as a customer.

Hope someone comes up with a definite answer.

toekneem

(EASBF)

0 Ratings