cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ridoba
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 9

who in BT can give me a reason why or a solution?

Hi,

I've had to take a break for 10 months chasing BT on Infinity availability issues.  To be honest I found the whole process of dealing with BT so frustrating I literally couldn't take anymore...

I could really do with some help from anyone (BT or customer) on how I can get Infinity when everyone around me has it - but the availability checker says I can't.

Let me explain.  I live in a village of 400 houses or so.  We have Infinity (I was on the Parish Council when the DSLAM cabinet went in).  The DSLAM cabinet is at the "entry" to the village and the copper spreads out all over the village as expected.  Virtually the entire village can get Infinity, except for my house and about 10 others.  The speed decreases as it comes closer to our house - but that's fine with me.  To be honest I'd be grateful of anything that is better than the current patchy 1mb I get.

Infinity "stops" at my next door neighbours house (who doesn't want it) - talk about frustrating.

I spent months on the phone to BT sales, technical, residential, business - you name it - almost every BT department.  Not one person could tell me why I couldn't get it (I just got the standard "it's not available on your line") or tell me HOW I could get it.  

I even offered to pay whatever it costs to send a BT/Openreach engineer to see if they could recable my existing lines into the same place as my neigbours.  Nope - they wouldn't do that.  I even asked for a new line, to be connected to the same places as my neighbours lime.  Nope - they wouldn't do that.  

I had a fault on my line recently and the BT engineer who came to the house was great!  He fixed my problem and I explained my Infinity predicament to him.  He said he would go away and do some checks with the maps etc etc.  He phoned me back and said I am connected to the same place as my neighbour and he couldn't see why I am being refused.

When I rang BT and told them this - they said the engineer had "no right" to tell me this information.   "You cannot get BT Infinity".    At this point I completely lost the will to live!

So here we are 10 months later.  

Does anyone have any suggestions.??   I am sick and tired of talking to people who just say "NO" and can't give me any solutions - which I am willing to pay for.

Please help!

Rgds

Ricard

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
ray_dorset
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 9

Re: who in BT can give me a reason why or a solution?

Try another ISP.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
If you found this post helpful, please click on the star on the left
If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings
ryant704
Guru
Message 3 of 9

Hai

Enter your telephone number here, at the top it will say your Exchange, Phone and cabient number. If it doesn't mention cabinet that means you are directly connected to the exchange and not via PCP.

If you are connected to a cabinet and it doesn't say FTTC is available, ask your neighbor to-do the same test (they have 2 be infinity connected). If they are, then proceed to contact the moderators here. Though it could not be showing because all the ports have been used up in the FTTC Cabinet.

If this helped you please click the Star beside my name.

If this answered your question please click "Mark as Accepted Solution" below.
ridoba
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 9

Hi Ryant704.

That is a great link.

If I put my neighbours phone number it says all the usual ADSL etc are available and also WBC FTTC. (upto 15.1 Mbps downstream)

If I put my phone number it says I get all the same product except for WBC FTTC.  It's not listed.

At the top it says we are both on the same exchange and also on the same cabinet!  If I put a friends number in who is about half a mile away who also gets infinity then they are on the same cabinet too.  

So given that - I think your advice is to contact the moderators on the link given.

Thanks for your advice so far.  Very useful.

Rgds

Richard

0 Ratings
Deathtrap3000
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 9

It probably doesnt mention it because the speed is probably less than 15mbps, especially seeing as your neighbour is only predicted 15.1mbps. It may be worth calling up and asking about BT Total Broadband with fibre and seeing if thats an option for you.

0 Ratings
ryant704
Guru
Message 6 of 9

@Deathtrap3000 wrote:

It probably doesnt mention it because the speed is probably less than 15mbps, especially seeing as your neighbour is only predicted 15.1mbps. It may be worth calling up and asking about BT Total Broadband with fibre and seeing if thats an option for you.

It will still show it, It is only BT that class Infinity as anything 15Mbps+. The database is with Wholesale not BT, just BT use it.

I would contact the moderators as I said, they will be able to check everything out for you.

ridoba
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 9

ok thanks.  Will do tomorrow.  good tip.

I remember an engineer once tellimg me I could sign a disclaimer to say I would be happy with a slower speed (and couldn't complain to BT as a result).   But nobody on sales new anything about it.

richard

0 Ratings
ridoba
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 9

ace thanks.  i've just contacted the moderators.  fingers crossed..

0 Ratings
ryant704
Guru
Message 9 of 9

They normally take 3 working days to respond and will take personal ownership your case until resolved.

Good luck

What the engineer describes is probably a business SLA.

0 Ratings