cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jasmine
Beginner
Message 41 of 70

Re: why cant i connect to bt fon

Hi, I also have never managed to connect through a hot spot although I joined ages ago. My laptop has Vista. I too gave up and bought a dongle!

0 Ratings
Highlighted
TRaMP
Beginner
Message 42 of 70

Just to add my experience after getting exactly the same problem with my laptop. It turned out to be the DNS settings. A previous ISP kept getting DNS errors and I had been using the OpenDNS servers. When I changed the DNS to 'obtain automatically' I was able to get the landing page and finally logged on! I hope that helps someone.
Message 43 of 70

Just in case anyone lands on this post:

If you are using hub v2 and not seeing a Fon connection, try re-setting your hub.

If using v3 and ditto, try giving the Fon helpdesk a ring to make sure the firmware has been sent to your hub.

AQ.
"Welcome to Royston Vasey - You'll never leave."

0 Ratings
ngood77
Message 44 of 70

This fixed it for me too. And, what's more, I changed the IP address setting back to Yes and connection to BT FON and Openzone remain fine.
0 Ratings
tickhill
Expert
Message 45 of 70

The issue of my HUB becoming part of the Community was eventually resolved by resetting the hub.

This actually involves inserting a paperclip into a small hole about half way up the right hand side of HUB 2

You must note the Password from the back of the hub as you have to reset it next time you login to a password of your own.( Read the instructions which came with the hub)

Having reset the hub it became part of the BTFon Community within 24hrs - this shows ups by looking at available networks and finding BTFon etc in the list when you are at home when perhaps it wasn't before

Also found the wireless speed went from 48Mbps to 65Mbps but slight downside when booting up do occasionally have to 'repair' the wireless connection.

Other thing to watch - if you try the BTFon or BTOpenzone connection at home watch out that it does not rearrange the preferred order of networks.  Aftere trying them I found that PC kept logging in with BT Fon and it took a while to find out that I could reset the network with an order of preference and but the Hub back at the top of the list.

Thanks to Sara at BT Fon who was very helpful and kept in kept in touch regularly as things were being tried and eventually resolved.

0 Ratings
Denis
Beginner
Message 46 of 70

I moved house so wait 1 week for switching BB to new house. Helpline lady suggested to use BTFON/Btopenzone while waiting. 

I found Btfon and Btopenzone, connected, but local only... so I cannot go to https://www.btopenzone.com:8443.

(i switched off firewall, used nonsecured connection (no encrypting))

Vista suggested to contact ISP.

Is there any solution since 2 year time? 

0 Ratings
Bazzarma
Message 47 of 70

I have just been having problems with my connection BT Fon; I use it as a back up service whilst I am waiting for my own ISP and telephone line.

My problems were, I was connecting to BTwithFon connection and had a good signal.  Every Time I tried to go on line, I was not getting my landing page to log in. 

Thanks to communitybt.com I found the answer straight away. This really works.

1        What ever windows you are using be it XP, Vista or 7 just re-set your fire wall back to default settings.

2        Control Panel, and hit on Windows Firewall

3        A Dialogue Box will appear, hit the tab advanced

4        Scroll to the bottom of the advanced tab and hit restore default.

Wahl Ha there you have it, you can also once you have it restore default can scan your computer at stage for any damage such as bad connections, connectivity, ping test etc. this will make a report for you to your desktop and you are now back on to the internet. Easy as ABC, 123.

mgtcairns
Beginner
Message 48 of 70

I have been trying to connect to BTWiFi hotspot with full strength signal but keep gettin "windows was unable to connect" message. I was able to connect to this network for over 6 months then it suddenly stopped connecting completely. I have no problems connecting to other BTWiFi networks in other areas. Any Ideas how to resolve this problem?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 49 of 70

@mgtcairns wrote:

I have been trying to connect to BTWiFi hotspot with full strength signal but keep gettin "windows was unable to connect" message. I was able to connect to this network for over 6 months then it suddenly stopped connecting completely. I have no problems connecting to other BTWiFi networks in other areas. Any Ideas how to resolve this problem?

have you tried the solution in the post above yours

please stop spamming the boards with the same post

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
mgtcairns
Beginner
Message 50 of 70

I have not found 1 solution on these boards that works the network is broken it seems but thanks for your helpful input

0 Ratings