cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
vobster
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 6

wi fi problem

I used to have Home hub 3 and a Dual Band Wi Fi extender 1200 which worked reasonably well considering that I live in an old house with thick walls. Then it started to lose the signal upstairs where the extender was located. BTsent me  a new router Hub 6 . This did not work with the wifi extender which decided that it was too far from the router despite being in the same place as it always had been. So I contacted BT and they sent me a Mini Connector Kit which I set up in the bedroom where I wanted the wifi. I can pick up a full signal right next to the mini connector but lose it only a foot or so away from it. Contacted BT but nothing they did made any difference and I was advised that " sometimes there is nothing you can do about wifi" I have no idea what to do next

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
flamethrower
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 6

Re: wi fi problem

Hi vobster

If you have a smartphone, you could install an app like Wi-Fi Analyzer (*) which will show you the signal strength and also competing Wi-Fi networks. You'll get a much better estimate of the signal strength as it'll read info from the radios.

If there are competing networks, I'd try and manually set a different channel. There is often automatic channel selection which can be hit-and-miss.

Cheers

(*) there are loads of similar apps. This is just what I use, no affiliation.

0 Ratings
vobster
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 6

thanks for your advice - I am no expert but I live in the country and there are no obvious conflicting wifi. There are neighbours nearby but I rarely see their wifi signals. BT did try changing bands- is that the right word. Should I still try your suggestion ? Sorry to sound dim!

0 Ratings
flamethrower
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 6

Do you still have the HH3? If so it might be worth trying it too.

Several folk who have reported issues with HH6 upgrade in the forums have received similar guidance to upgrade. However, there are a lot of posts about HH6 issues here. As an observer I'm unclear what the overall reason is (high uptake, software bugs, hardware bugs, etc), but suggest forgoing the benefits in the near term if there are no issues with the HH3.

0 Ratings
vobster
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 6

could I connect the old hub upstairs and see what happens ?

0 Ratings
flamethrower
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 6

I'd try in place of the HH6 and see if the extenders work better with it in this configuration.That'd narrow down whether the router is part of the problem or it's just between the extenders.

I don't know enough about the HH3 to be able to say whether you could use it in a different room. You can hang additional routers off of the main BT router if they are configured in access point mode. Not sure if the HH3 has this as an option in it's UI, but pretty much any third party router supports this mode of operation.

0 Ratings