cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ChazzE
Beginner
Message 1 of 6

wifi connection with htc magic

I have spent about 6 hours talking to several 'technicians' in India, via the btcust helpline, to get my phone to recognise or be 'in range' of my new hub 4 with no success. Reading this forum it seems I may need to create a different ssid and password for each channel. Is this right and if so why is it not one of the steps suggested by the 'techs,?
Tags (1)
0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
pottyperson
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 6

Re: wifi connection with htc magic

Welcome to the forum. 5GHz-capable devices should connect to the 5GHz channel unless they are out of range, when they should switch automatically to 2.4GHz (which has a greater range). Assigning separate SSIDs allows you to choose which one to connect to. Google "separate ssid for 5ghz" for some discussion.

It's not clear whether this will help you but no harm in trying. Do other devices connect OK?

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings
ChazzE
Beginner
Message 3 of 6

Hi pottyperson and thanks for the reply.  All my other wifi devices work with the new hub.  It is just my mobile that doesn't.  It simply fails to see the Hub, even when I enter its details manually.  V frustrating.  Any help would be greatly appreciated as I feel for the extra cost of Infinity and the new Hub, I am getting a worse service!

0 Ratings
pottyperson
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 6

To be honest I'm stuck, but the fact that other devices see the hub suggests it might be a phone issue; does it connect wirelessly elsewhere? Have you tried HTC customer services? When I had an issue (admittedly about 3 years ago) they were helpful.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings
ChazzE
Beginner
Message 5 of 6

Thanks again for the response.  It is a shame BT do not have any interest in replying as it is a service they are providing at a cost and it is not working.  The HTC Magic works with Hub 2 and Hub 3 owned by neighbours so it is not a phone problem.

Spoiler

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 6

I'm not certain what specs your phone has but I think the HTC magic only has b/g and not b/g/n so it might be worth setting the homehub to b/g only see this link

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/13768/~/how-do-i-switch-my-wireless-connection-from-'...

If the phone is only b/g then it is unlikely to be able to connect to the 5GHz frequency so you should try giving 2.4GHz and 5GHz different SSids as suggested by pottyperson. Once you have done that "forget" any connection to your homehub on your phone and restart the phone. Scan for networks and reconnect to the 2.4Ghz frequencies.

0 Ratings