Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
inmcdonalds
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 49

will ADSL2+ make a difference here?

Go to solution

Following on from my previous post here...

http://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Infinity/greater-than-1-5-km-from-the-cabinet/td-p/664482

I have now moved house Smiley Very Happy

My sync rate is 1.688 Mbps Smiley Sad   This is despite being so close to FTTC. I expect the fact the copper lines rub up close to a shed load of trees by a local forest doesnt help much. 

Here are my precise stats at the moment...

ADSL Line Status
Connection Information
Line state:Connected
Connection time:0 days, 04:07:30
Downstream:1.688 Mbps
Upstream:448 Kbps

ADSL Settings
VPI/VCI:0/38
Type:PPPoA
Modulation:G.992.1 Annex A
Latency type:Interleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up):15.9 dB / 19.0 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up):50.6 dB / 31.5 dB
Output power (Down/Up):17.2 dBm / 12.5 dBm
FEC Events (Down/Up):95954 / 8
CRC Events (Down/Up):206 / 3
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote):0 / 0
HEC Events (Down/Up):725 / 4
Error Seconds (Local/Remote):139 / 11

Searching around for a way out of my broadband woes I discovered that my exchange is enabled for ADSL2+ 

This was the bt search using my phone number.

Available ProductsDownstream Line Rate(Mbps)Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)Downstream Range(Mbps)Availability Date

Featured Products

WBC ADSL 2+Up to 7--6 to 12Available
WBC ADSL 2+ Annex MUp to 7Up to 16 to 12Available
ADSL MaxUp to 4--2 to 6.5Available
WBC Fixed Rate2----Available
Fixed Rate2----Available

I think I am on ADSL max given my current modulation. My question is - would asking to be moved to ADSL2+ make any significant difference given the attenuation on my line that is apparent from my stats? Or is it like to be just as bad?

0 Ratings
48 REPLIES 48
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 49

Re: will ADSL2+ make a difference here?

Go to solution

with a 50 attenuation I would expect about 4.6mb connection speed on adslmax and about 4.7mb on adsl2.  at present the noise margin is high at 15 either due to line noise or manual resets or both.  I would suggest you try and improve your current connection before trying for adsl2 which is far more aggressive on line noise

are you connected to test socket?   is quiet line test ok?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
inmcdonalds
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 49

Go to solution

infuriatingly I can`t find the master socket. It`s not where it usually is. It`s a bungalow built in the 1970s so I guess the wiring is probably fairly old. What is a quiet line test though?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 49

Go to solution

dial 17070 option 2  should hear nothing and best with corded phone   if cordless then dull hum normal

if you can see the incoming bt wires then master should be where line enters your home  sometimes can be in attic

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
inmcdonalds
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 49

Go to solution

Thanks for that tip- heard a quiet constant hum/crackle using a corded phone. I`m guessing that`s not a pass. I`ll have a hunt for the BT lines entering the house  tomorrow -not looking forward to a crawl round the attic though.  I wonder how much tree interference along the roadside is contributing to noise compared to my internal wiring. I guess sorting out the latter might answer the question. However if the master socket is in the attic I`m not really going to be putting my router up there...

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 49

Go to solution

if you can hear noise on your line then you need to rport a phone fault to 151 with no mention of broadband.  get noise fixed and that will help your broadband.

I realise if master in attic then you can't leave router there but check for the bellwire as described here 

bellwire removal

0 Ratings
inmcdonalds
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 49

Go to solution

phone 151 - that sounds too easy to be true! Are they really going to send someone out because I report a dull hum on my line? If so, fantastic, but I`m wondering how do they fix that kind of thing? Won`t they just tell me to get better extensions wired up?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 49

Go to solution

thought you said a crackle as well?  see if you can find master and remove bellwire from all sockets and see it that helps your connection.  need to get noise margin down to the norm of 6db to get a better connection speed

0 Ratings
inmcdonalds
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 49

Go to solution

crackle/hum it`s all the same to my untrained ear. I`ll try to root around the attic this weekend, or maybe chop a few hundred tree branches down along the line route to the cabinet!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 49

Go to solution

with a corded phone there should be no noise on the quiet line test - any noise will have a bad effect on your broadband connection and may be reason for high noise margin.  has your connection been dropping or have you been manually resetting the router to try and improve your connections.  resets are the worst thing for your connection

0 Ratings