Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
saabina
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 8

wired connection not working but wireless is

Hi 

I have a problem with my wired connection on my main desktop pc.  I also have a laptop and a i-pad and both work ok using wiresless connection.  My desktop pc does not have wireless capability.  I rang and spoke to bt broadband technical help team who suggested as I thought that ethernet cable was faulty and they would send me a new cable.   I have now tried with another cable and wired connection still not working.   I connected my laptop to ethernet cable and it works ok so I am thinking the problem is with my pc.   I have disabled firewall and also removed antivirius incase either were stopping connection. Under network connections it says Local Area Connection 3  Network cable unplugged.  I have bt infinity 2 and a Hub 3

Has anyone got any ideas what the cause of this could be.  I would appreciate any help.

Thanks

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
ray_dorset
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 8

Re: wired connection not working but wireless is

Sorry, I see you've ruled out the cable and the hub. probably a physical error with the network socket on the PC.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
If you found this post helpful, please click on the star on the left
If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings
ray_dorset
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 8

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
If you found this post helpful, please click on the star on the left
If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings
joeking
Beginner
Message 4 of 8

Not sure if this will help, but at my last house unless the computer connected to the router via ethernet was switched on firdst, it didmn't connect to the internet, even although others were connected.

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 8

Try a factory reset of the homehub by pressing a pin into the recess button on the rear for about 20 seconds.

If that does not help you could try uninstalling your network card and letting Windows re-install it. Do do that click on Start > Control Panel > Device Manager > Network Adaptors > Highlight your network card and right click on the mouse. Scroll down and select uninstall. Once you have done that re-start your computer, Windows should re-install the Network card and you can try connecting.

0 Ratings
Oaksfm
Beginner
Message 6 of 8

I to have issues with a wired connection since transferin...

I to have issues with a wired connection since transfering my ISp from the mouse company (EE). All PC and Laptops in the house have no issues with wireless or a wired connection  with the exception of a laptop that flags "local connection only" when hard wired.

This Laptop runs Vista with SP2.

I've tried reseting the homehub 5, different cables at different points in the house and direct into the router. I've confirmed that the internet controller (Nvidia) is running the latest drivers and I've desected iiep6. Still the same problem.

Any suggestions gratefully received

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 8

Re: I to have issues with a wired connection since transferin...

Is the network adaptor set for DHCP or static IP adddress?

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 8

Re: I to have issues with a wired connection since transferin...

Have a look at this from Microsoft re Vista problems

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928233/en-us

0 Ratings