Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
omgrodders
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 14

youview box with infinity without bt vision

Can someone help please.

Saw the BT infinity offer 'BT has announced today that it will offer a free YouView set top box* with no TV subscription to new BT Infinity customers'(DC12-277 September 20, 2012). Thought it was a good offer and signed up for infinity leaving Orange after 12 years. Discussed the youview box with the person who helped me sign up online and told that I should pre-register for the box which I did. Bt infinity connected on Monday22nd Oct. Received the e-mail concerning the early release last friday and tried to order. Couldnt order without taking BT vision. Three agents told me I needed to take BT vision but got frustrated with the last one who talked to her manager and special youview team who said I was correct. Told to phone later this week which I did today. Went through the same ritual today about needing BT vision but this time told I should have ordered the youview box at the same time as the Bt infinity package to avoid having the Bt vision package. Told to phone Bt on Sat 27th after they sort it out but I think thats another 'go away' tactic. I am so annoyed that people at BT dont/cant/wont let me get this box which was the reason I signed up for infinity in the first place. Oh they also tell me that I can buy the box from them for £300. But I could have done that anyway and had nothing to do with BT. Can someone at BT please tell me how I can proceed with my order. This must apply to many customers.

0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
varkanoid
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 14

Re: youview box with infinity without bt vision

I have BT Infinity and enquired about it the other day through the live chat window that appears when you look at the order page.

If you are a new customer you pay £49 one off fee I believe it was only free for the pre order special period.

As I have been on BT Infinity for over a year I was told it would cost me £49 plus £4 a month for tv essential and thats it.

However I have decided to wait because Dolby Digital doesnt work, you cant get Sky Sports and its not wireless.

The latter I can't believe in a £299 box!

0 Ratings
omgrodders
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 14

Ok. But I have been phoning BT and they keep telling me they know nothing about what I tell them was the offer. What suprised me today was the batman clock counting down to the great youview launch. I thought the page would change and I would be able to proceed with the order. 10,9,8,7 etc and then 'offer expired'. Thats it- thought November 5th would arrive early- but it didn't. Thanks for the comment though.

0 Ratings
omgrodders
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 14

6pm update! the saga continues.........

At 14.23 talked to a lady in India who told me I was wrong even though I gave her the press release date from BT. She said there was nothing she could do and sort of got the idea that I should just go away. I said that she was probably the wrong person to talk to and could I talk to someone involved with orders in UK. She put me in touch with Lee. Lee sounded like he knew what he was doing and understood my frustration as he waded through the notes that BT were recording during my telephone calls. He accessed the press release and agreed that is what it said.http://www.btplc.com/News/Articles/Showarticle.cfm?ArticleID=4EE9DE54-23A8-4655-A90B-9E83E0DB2B47 you can see for yourselves

He said he was going to talk to his manager after the manager had come out of a meeting. He said that the BT vision payment of £5 a month would be charged but then refunded probably. I asked how I would order the box and he said he would take the order when he phoned me back in an hour after it was all sorted out. That was at 3pm. No call back I'm sorry to say and another afternoon wasted.

I will keep on trying.

While I was waiting took a look at the talktalk offer.

I have never had any dealings with BT before just gave them the money every quarter for the past 35years and that was that but are they always like this?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 14

Well reading it 

BT has announced today that it will offer a free YouView set top box* with no TV subscription to new BT Infinity customers'(DC12-277 September 20, 2012).

The *  is probably BTs get out here because at the bottom of ther press release is;

* £49 activation charge, £6.95 delivery charge for the hub and line rental applies. To get a free YouView box you’ll need to sign up to BT Infinity/BT Broadband and BT Vision Essential (rising to £5/month on 5 Jan) both with a 12 month minimum term. You’ll also need a fast-enough line and a BT Home Hub. Quality of content depends on local transmitter, suitable rooftop aerial and availability of digital channels (www.youview.com). We’ll charge you for some On Demand content. Terms apply.

The phrase

"free YouView set top box* with no TV subscription" is not the clearest statement in the world. It can for example be interpreted as the box is free but there is no free TV subscription. You interpret it as not having to pay for a TV service. That is one interpretation  but is it the one Bt intended and given the * and the additional info at the bottom of the release. The sentence as it is doesn't say  no tv subscription required or no tv subscription payable.

Another example of a press release that could  and should have been more carefully prepared.

0 Ratings
omgrodders
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 14

Thanks for commenting . Why did the statement even include 'with no TV subscription' then?

This would then have left

BT has announced today that it will offer a free YouView set top box* to new BT Infinity customers. Broadband customers not in an Infinity enabled area will also be able to get a free YouView box* when they subscribe to TV Essential, starting at £4/month'

The 'with no TV subscription' must have been meant to convey some meaning otherwise it would  not be there.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 7 of 14

Good Luck - you could have a look at 

http://www.btplc.com/Thegroup/Ourcompany/Ourvalues/index.htm

I would quote the 

Trustworthy  - We do what we say we will

and

Straightforward - We make things clear

values to them.

0 Ratings
tateandsmile
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 14

Well I had my confirmation email with all the details of my order on Monday. I'm not holding out for it being correct till I officially get a bill but it has my vision essential subscription @ £4pm and then a 12 month vision essential discount @ £4pm. 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 9 of 14

@tateandsmile wrote:

@Well I had my confirmation email with all the details of my order on Monday. I'm not holding out for it being correct till I officially get a bill but it has my vision essential subscription @ £4pm and then a 12 month vision essential discount @ £4pm. 

Well its good that Bt appear to be honouring the statement.

Thats how BT seems to function - free normally means they charge and apply some discount or refund.

However somebody normally has to apply that discount/refund and it should be  recorded upfront in the contracting telephone call.

omgroggers difficultly is that repeatedly the BT reps were either unwilling or unable to apply that refund/discount and his escalation to Bt manager has not thusfar resulted in a resolution.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
omgrodders
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 14

Its good to hear that someone extracted a pandora out of the company 'tateandsmile'. That's what was going to happen to me yesterday when Lee phoned back at 4, but he didn't. Since then nothing-- no word, flowers, chocolates, nothing.

So where do I go from here? Start with another India, UK Sales, manager, ring back cycle.

Tags (3)
0 Ratings