cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Toladessip
Aspiring Contributor
Message 121 of 252

Re: youview recordings stopping after 2 minutes

They won't let me out of contract until they have tried to fix it so we shall see
0 Ratings
speedtrip
Expert
Message 122 of 252

Well, based on their & YouViews progress since late October, dont hold your breath !

0 Ratings
Robowen
Beginner
Message 123 of 252

Did yet another factory reset - keep recordings yesterday morning. Set up to record Hootenanny last night and it looks to have recorded the whole programme OK. Trouble is it shows it as "watched" and will not replay from the start or from anywhere so that's another bit of space wasted on the hard drive. I'm going to have to record anything I really want on my Freesat box as well just in case the youview one doesn't work, which seems more and more likely at the moment.

0 Ratings
wjwestcott
Aspiring Contributor
Message 124 of 252

The last recorded incident of this fault was reported three days ago.  The main thread on the Youview forum for this issue went quiet at the same time.
Is it possible that the problem has temporarily resolved itself?  Or are people just getting fed up with reporting it?
I say temporarily as I do not believe it has been fixed, it appeared to resolve itself for me  over a month ago and then came back in mid December.

0 Ratings
sab60
Aspiring Contributor
Message 125 of 252

Hi, recording seems to have settled down a bit. I only had one failed recording over Xmas but I still get occasions where a playback ends early and then plays to the end when restarted. This happens on recordings made before October (when the whole thing went pear shaped the first time) so suggests it isnt the recording itself thats the problem but something in the software. I have noticed my youview box is sometimes a bit over over-enthuiastic with scheduled recordings and includes all the '+1' channels as well so I get multiple recordings of the same program. Live Pause and Rewind are patchy - sometimes it works, sometimes it doesnt.

The bad news is that the On Demand services have become almost unusable (iPlayer and Netflix). Programs buffer constantly and the box has frozen completly a couple of times over the last few days. I can use both services thru other devices so I know it's not a problem with my router or broadband connection.

All in all - it's not as bad as it was but I'm still very wary and double check every recording.

0 Ratings
Toladessip
Aspiring Contributor
Message 126 of 252

Well engineer arrived with instructions not to change box unless fault happened whilst he was here (I was told new box by call centre), which as we all know it wouldn't, but he did find dry joint on aerial input so did change the box so I shall keep you informed in progress. I last had weird goings on on Tuesday but has been ok since on old box so maybe they fixed it.
0 Ratings
ubysam
Contributor
Message 127 of 252

Maybe the dry joint has been the cause, how did they identify it?
0 Ratings
sirjamesp
Aspiring Expert
Message 128 of 252

Not sure what a dry joint is, but I'm guessing that this would impede the aerial signal somehow?

The reason I ask is that I wonder if this problem isn't *just* a simple software fault (otherwise it would affect everyone, surely?). Perhaps poor / interrupted signals are triggering something in the software which is resulting in terminated recordings.

I realise I'm about to jinx myself... but I've never had this recording problem, on either the old or new box (recently upgraded). I do have a very good TV reception, though - strong enough to run the upstairs telly off an indoor aerial with no problems.

0 Ratings
Toladessip
Aspiring Contributor
Message 129 of 252

Signal strength dropped to zero as he was checking connections but I had not noticed any picture freeze. Maybe it's just enough of a fault to mess with record settings without us noticing hence why the box thinks didn't get that programme and we end up with a schedule full of re-records on different channels.
0 Ratings
wjwestcott
Aspiring Contributor
Message 130 of 252

I would be very surprised if the software stopped recording a program that is scheduled for at least 30 minutes because of a short break in broadcast signal. I did in fact disconnect and reconnect the aerial during a test recording to see what effect it had and the box continued recording. The signal strength dropped to zero so it was not picking up any signal.

The reason why I raised the possibility of not knowing the status of the problem was that my experience occurred on two separate occasions separated by several weeks and only affected recordings for a few days.

On both occasion I did nothing to the youview box, the aerial connection or the broadband connection except restarting the broadband and youview box and re-plugging all of the cables.

These actions did not immediately rectify the problem, subsequent recordings failed before the problem was resolved.

0 Ratings