Wow - how clever. For my reference could you explain how you know? Sorry, I am trying to learn as much as possible.
Thank you very much for this information. May I just ask what is the difference between adsl2 and adsl2+?
Adsl2 is up to 12mb and adsl2+ is up to 24mb
there is no magic switch to go from 1 to the other and it is controlled by the DLM. Need a good stable connection with very few errors to move from 1 to the other - and you can move backward from 2+ to 2
Thank you soooooooo much!!!!
I guess I just have to leave it to the engineer now. I have done as much as I possibly could. I will keep you posted.
Look forward to the update
So the Openreach engineer came this morning, did his tests and announced that the synchronisation speed was good and that his office confirmed that it has been consistant for the last 2 weeks. However, this is at odds with the 'speed tests' I have been running on a daily basis and does not explain why I have been unable to use the internet.
The engineer advised that a steady synchronisation speed means that the problem is not between the 'box' and the exchange, that being the sort of problem he could resolve. He assured me that everything works well between my house and the exchange, which, as a Openreach engineer, is the only thing that he is concerned with.
He said that, instead, the problem seems to be that, even though synch speed is steady, throughput speed is dropping. He advises that, this being so, the problem lies deeper within the BT system and can only be resolved by BT as distinct from Openreach. A software solution is required.
5 minutes after his departure I did my own test and the results are as follows:
1. Best Effort Test: -provides background information.
0 Mbps 4 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed
Download speedachieved during the test was - 3.17 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 1.2 Mbps-4 Mbps.
IP Profile for your line is - 3.07 Mbps
2. Upstream Test: -provides background information.
0 Mbps 0.83 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed
Upload speed achieved during the test was - 0.02Mbps
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 0.83 Mbps
However, I understand from the engineer that the above results have nothing to do with synchronisation speed. Can anyone clarify what the difference is between synchronisation and throughput, suggest what might be causing problems with the latter and advise who to contact to resolve them?
I cannot connect to the internet and am using my husband's wi-fi to post this.
Sync speed is only the physical connection speed, but the actual throughput is your problem. This looks like its somewhere in the network itself, possibly severe congestion during the day due to too many connections on the DSLAM card you are on.
Now that any line or interference problems have been eliminated, the fault can be passed to BT Wholesale to investigate why.
The simplest solution would be a lift and shift to a different port on a different card, to see if that fixes the problem.
That is something one of the mod team can arrange, and Openreach can do in conjunction with BT Wholesale.
I would guess that may be the next stage.