Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 71 of 93

Re: zero upload speed ADSL broadband

They will normally allocate it based on the number of ports in use on that card. Its very unusual to have issues with upload speed, so I would expect any other port to be better than the one you have. Most people download stuff, and large uploads are unusual.

No visit will be needed, as all the work and the testing is done in the exchange. Because your phone line is routed through the broadband equipment, you will lose your phone connection for a while, during the time the technician is moving the exchange wiring.

EmmaW1
Contributor
Message 72 of 93

Thank you very much for this information.  Just a couple more things - sorry.

Is an Openreach frame technician a special type of 'engineer' or could any Openreach 'engineer' do the work?

Also do you know how long it takes for BT Wholesale to allocate a new port?  An engineer's visit to my house has been booked for this Friday, but he may not have the port allocated by then, and he may not be qualified to do the port switching.

0 Ratings
EmmaW1
Contributor
Message 73 of 93

An Openreach engineer arrived today without prior appointment. He did extensive tests trying to prove that the problem was at my property.

So we went through it again:

1. A mouse has chewed through the cables, or the cables are bad quality- (but why would the cables work evenings and weekends?) we had to go through checking the test socket downstairs. The sync speed was fine, we connected the HH4 to the test socket - no connection to the internet, or extremely slow - upload speed 0.00 twice in a row.

2. The upload speed is not important - he wanted to stream a video to prove it, but after a slow start it stopped altogether.

3. My husband’s broadband is taking all throughput speed - my husband is not in today, and all his equipment is switched off. And why would it take throughput speed now and not after 3:30pm? Anyway, it has not been a problem for 11 years.

4. My computer is too old - so why do I have a perfect connection when I use my husband’s wi-fi? And why does my brand new iPad have the same problem? And why all my equipment works perfectly evenings, weekends and school holidays?

After trying every possible argument to prove that the problem was at my property, and not BT’s responsibility, he finally admitted defeat. Having witnessed the extremely slow or non existent connection, he stated that the problem lies deeper within the BT system, but would not authorise a lift and shift. However he suggested instead ...28 days monitoring, which would be a waste of time.

Yet I have already demonstrated that the problem coincides precisely with the opening times of the local primary school. It works perfectly fine after 3:30pm, at weekends and during school holidays. So a lift and shift away from the primary school is the obvious answer.

So the conclusion is that I, the customer, am not lying, because he, the BT engineer, has witnessed the problem first hand, but I might be lying some of the time, because I have had nothing better to do with my time over the last six months and just wanted to call the Indian call centre for no reason or spill my guts out on the BT forum for everyone from this planet to read for eternity!!! So BT has to monitor the system for 28 days, after which time they will probably say that everything is OK.

In the meantime BT has increased my monthly broadband charge and backdated it to beginning of December 2014.

Interestingly enough both engineers and the Indian call centre strongly recommended fibre optics as a solution. Nobody wants to do the work, they just want more money from me.

I am extremely upset. Why should I have to pay for this abysmal service? I think that in the circumstances BT should stop charging me or reduce the monthly charge considerably, and they should award me compensation for not providing the service that I contracted them to do, and for my wasted time and stress caused by dealing with this issue.

Any advice from the forum members would be greatly appreciated.

0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 74 of 93

what have the mods suggested?
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 75 of 93

Sounds like openreach engineer was less than helpfull and came with attitude it was your fault. Need to get back to the mods and get another engineer but this time one with a better attitude and someone that wants to fix the problem. Can you reply to mods email or are mods phoning you to see what happened after engineer visit

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
EmmaW1
Contributor
Message 76 of 93

The engineer's visit was booked for Friday morning, so today's arrival was a huge surprise. The mods don't know anything about it, so, understandably, there is no communication from them yet. I have sent an email to OlgaC, but she is offline now.

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 77 of 93

Hopefully when Olga gets back to you she can make sure Friday's engineer is more helpfull and does the lift and shift

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
EmmaW1
Contributor
Message 78 of 93

Still no reply from the mods, but I just realised what this is all about.

OMG - this is not about fixing my problem at all. This is about the £129.99 call-out fee!!!!  If the fault is within my property I would have to pay for the engineer's visit, so they are determined to prove that I am to blame.  The engineers presumably get some financial incentive to do so, otherwise why would they behave like that?  

In the meantime my broadband is still unusable during school hours.  I'm using my husband's wi-fi again to post this.

Today's tests results:

26/03/2015 11:25

1. Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.

Download  Speed 2.9 Mbps   0 Mbps 4 Mbps Max Achievable Speed 

2.Upstream Test:  -provides background information.

Upload Speed 0.01 Mbps   0 Mbps 0.83 Mbps Max Achievable Speed 

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 79 of 93

@EmmaW1 wrote:

Still no reply from the mods, but I just realised what this is all about.

OMG - this is not about fixing my problem at all. This is about the £129.99 call-out fee!!!!  If the fault is within my property I would have to pay for the engineer's visit, so they are determined to prove that I am to blame.  The engineers presumably get some financial incentive to do so, otherwise why would they behave like that?  

sorry but it's not about the charge of £129.99 - it makes no difference to engineer.  you just need to get that engineer that is prepared to go the 'extra mile' to solve your conenction problem  hopefully Olga wil get that engineer and you will get a lift and shift

EmmaW1
Contributor
Message 80 of 93

Thank you DS imjolly, my forum friend.  I hope that you are right.

0 Ratings