Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AlanW1980
Beginner
Message 1 of 20

1 White disc stopped working

Hi 

I have a set of 3 of the white whole home wifi discs and they have been working great. Yesterday I unplugged the power from one disc and since then I cannot get it working again. 

What I see is a solid purple light that comes on and then after 30 seconds turns off and the disc light stays off. It sometimes reboots and tries again but most of the time stays off. 

I have tried it in different locations in the house.
I've plugged it directly into the router (Vodafone Broad Band) and left it overnight to see if it works
I've tried the factory reset button, which seems to not affect the disc. I see no light status change.
I've tried plugging it into the back of one of the other discs in the house.

I'm at a bit of a loss as to what I can do about it, I spent two hours last night trying everything I can think of. Is it possible the disc has died just by being unplugged?

Thank you for your help

Alan

0 Ratings
19 REPLIES 19
albertj
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 20

Re: 1 White disc stopped working

Hello @AlanW1980 

Welcome to the Community!

Have you read this post and tried the steps? 

https://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Devices/Problem-with-Whole-Home-Wi-Fi-Read-this-first/td-p/1908749

Thanks 

--
If I have helped you in anyway please press the Kudo button (thumbs up)
If I have resolved your post please click 'Mark as Accepted Solution'
0 Ratings
AlanW1980
Beginner
Message 3 of 20

Hi 

yes I did give all of that a try, I don't seem to be able to factory reset the disc which feels like it might be the solution .

Alan

0 Ratings
albertj
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 20

Hi @AlanW1980 

Sorry for my delay in getting back to you. Just checking you managed to fix this?

Otherwise;

According to this article:

How can I reset my Whole Home Wi-Fi to the default settings?

If you need to reset the discs to factory default settings you can do this using the pin hole on the back of each disc:

1. First, make sure the discs are switched on
  2. On each disc press the Reset button (on the rear of the disc) for one second. Wait a couple of minutes to reboot
  3. If everything’s OK, the LED will turn purple, flashing blue and then solid blue. Please also see the disc’s LED settings card on the rear for default factory settings
  4. Your network name and admin password will revert back to what is shown on the back of the discs

I would recommend the use of a paperclip.

If that is not working for you, another form member suggested the following:

My method was to turn them on and wait until the light turned solid blue (or red if not network connected). Then press and hold the reset button in for 10 sec. Release. The light should flash red momentarily, then go off. It will come back on again after 10 -15 secs as purple and go through its boot sequence and you should find it broadcasting its original SSID.

Thanks

--
0 Ratings
AlanW1980
Beginner
Message 5 of 20

Hi

thank you  for your reply. The problem is it never goes solid blue or red. It's always purple. The reset button doesn't seem to do anything. Sometimes it will flash red once and reboot again but that's it. It seems to be stuck in some kind of reboot cycle.

Alan

0 Ratings
JimR04
Beginner
Message 6 of 20

Did you get to the bottom of this, the same thing has happened to me.
0 Ratings
AlanW1980
Beginner
Message 7 of 20

No sadly not yet! It's super frustrating!

0 Ratings
JimR04
Beginner
Message 8 of 20

We are using it for a business too and that does make life tricky, I will have to return to Currys where I got it from and exchange as it's clearly broken I think.
Also experts above don't realise that its stuck on purple so cant wait until it goes blue etc. Oh well, perhaps I should have gone with Google
0 Ratings
albertj
Recognised Expert
Message 9 of 20

@AlanW1980 

I guess if those steps haven’t worked, and the light is always purple, then the device may be faulty.

You can call the Helpdesk on: 0808 100 6116, and see if they can help. They come with a three year warranty so if you have proof of purchase you can see about a repair / replacement.

Thanks

--
AlanW1980
Beginner
Message 10 of 20

Hi

thanks for the information so yes I agree it's faulty. So I called the help desk and spoke to a super unhelpful lady there who told me to take it back to the retailer. Problem there is it's a 2nd hand purchase from eBay.  She wouldn't acknowledge if it was still under warranty and flat out refused to help saying it should go back. I can't imagine that the ebay seller will help me. 

She is telling me if I want to complain about it I should go to BT with a complaint. 

Is there a way to check the warranty of an item?

thank you for all your help!

0 Ratings